Remember Me tickbox

20 Jan 2016 12:59 #66593 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Remember Me tickbox
I have been using Firefox since 2006 and am yet to have found any reason to change. I haven't used Chrome for a few years now, but when I last used it, it did give me trouble.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2016 13:00 #66594 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Remember Me tickbox

saros wrote: Stijn, open command prompt and type: ipconfig /flushdns

This clears local DNS cache as well and should help

Thanks Saros but tried this now and it's still not working... :blink:

More
20 Jan 2016 13:25 #66595 by saros
Replied by saros on topic Remember Me tickbox
Ghaznavid: Thats cool, suppose all environment settings makes the difference :)

All I have been able to see are things like, makes sure you not running the browser in private browsing mode.

Perhaps try a little app like CCleaner to properly remove the cookies that could be corrupted. The cookies are what keeps these settings.

More
20 Jan 2016 14:42 #66598 by saros
:whistle: So looks like I am having the same issues, once I have sorted out, I will let you know what the problem was.

More
20 Jan 2016 18:21 #66606 by kbresler
Replied by kbresler on topic Re:Remember Me tickbox
My word we have some seriously smart people on here. Thank goodness for that!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Kobus Bresler

More
20 Jan 2016 20:30 - 20 Jan 2016 20:33 #66609 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Remember Me tickbox
Sorry to hear that Stijn, I find it very annoying when websites don't always work properly, this one included. The reality is that things are never perfect and its pretty difficult to get things working properly and consistently across all different possible scenarios of environments and settings, over and above ever-evolving software.

That said, we should be able to figure out what the issue is in your particular case. This is probably best done via email since it may be a lot of back and forth to try things. Please PM me the email address to use, if its one other than your work address. Can I assume that this isn't due to your browser not accepting cookies (or deleting them after one session), or that security settings on your office network are not interfering with this?

@ghaz: I have stopped the redirecting to the home page after log out. In may mean in some cases that some will see a warning message now if they have been browsing a page which is only for members to see, just before logging out. I'm not sure which is the better route to go, but its not a big deal.

As for the email subscriptions, the site is set to notify you of new updates on a thread, only after it has seen that you logged in and read the update that it informed you of previously. If it has sent you an email, but you haven't logged in and read the new posts, then it won't keep sending you new emails until you do so. This helps ease unnecessary server load, but also has a lot to do with avoiding annoyance for some users, especially if its a popular thread. Please check that it is working as I have described it, and let me know if you think it is still not working as it should. I can change this setting if there is enough consensus and feedback to go that route.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 20 Jan 2016 20:33 by intrepid.

More
20 Jan 2016 20:58 #66612 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Remember Me tickbox

intrepid wrote: As for the email subscriptions, the site is set to notify you of new updates on a thread, only after it has seen that you logged in and read the update that it informed you of previously. If it has sent you an email, but you haven't logged in and read the new posts, then it won't keep sending you new emails until you do so. This helps ease unnecessary server load, but also has a lot to do with avoiding annoyance for some users, especially if its a popular thread. Please check that it is working as I have described it, and let me know if you think it is still not working as it should. I can change this setting if there is enough consensus and feedback to go that route.

Ahh - that makes sense. So that combined with the "remember me" issue means that I am reading a post without the server knowing it - hence the problem.

Hopefully with the other issue resolved, this will come right.

More
21 Jan 2016 08:16 #66617 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Remember Me tickbox
Thanks for the quick reply intrepid. Agreed, let's take this offline on my work email..

More
21 Jan 2016 08:21 #66619 by saros
@intrepid: After the changes you made, "remember me" is working again.

Thank you for that :thumbsup:

More