Magaliesberg security issues

20 Mar 2012 09:16 - 20 Mar 2012 09:18 #53256 by intrepid
intrepid created the topic: Magaliesberg security issues
An update has just been circulated through the MCSA Joburg Section updates about yet another mugging which took place presumably this weekend. It took place near the Slide Pools at MSP. No further details available currently, and it is also unconfirmed whether it took place on MSP or MCSA property.

This is a sad state of affairs, and its likely the same group of people doing it.

This thread will serve to collect all security incidents in the Magaliesberg to keep everyone informed and alert.

It is difficult to know what to advise exactly about the Mountain Sanctuary Park - Cederberg - Tonquani area. If you go to this area be advised that there is a persistent crime trend. Be extremely alert and take all precautions you can.

For reference see also:
Magaliesberg security update
Calabash-Tonquani mugging incident

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last Edit: 20 Mar 2012 09:18 by intrepid. Reason: typo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2012 06:59 #53376 by intrepid
intrepid replied to: Re: Magaliesberg security issues
On Sunday 25 March there was an armed attack on the Junod household at Calabash. Three people were injured with knives but nothing life-threatening. Not good.

I would stay away from Calabash and Boulderkloof areas. I would also not use the big pools at the bottom end of Tonquani. This is a very bad trend. I am seriously wondering if personally I should even be going to the MSP-Tonquani-Cederberg area at the moment...this is getting crazy.

More
21 Aug 2012 09:26 #55027 by Frosty Ice
Frosty Ice replied to: Re: Magaliesberg security issues
Do we have any update on the security around Tonqs? Thinking of bring a few friends down the kloof...

More
22 Aug 2012 05:47 #55028 by intrepid
intrepid replied to: Re: Magaliesberg security issues
The MCSA has hired a security company to patrol the Boulder Kloof / Calabash side of Tonquani. They are there on the weekends and sleep at Utopia. This has been going on for a while and I have not heard of anything that they have encountered so far. I am not aware of any further incidents there since March. People have been hiking, climbing and camping at Cederberg and Upper Tonquani in the mean time. For the first time in a long time I also ventured out to Upper Tonquani for a climb 3 weeks ago. I will slowly start returning there and to Cederberg, but will probably still skip Boulder Kloof for the time being.

More
23 Aug 2012 20:08 #55038 by spook
spook replied to: Re: Magaliesberg security issues
we spent eh day climbing in Boulder Kloof last Sunday without any concerns. I have also spoken to the guards at Utopia and they indicate that the last few months or so have been pretty crime free. Hope it holds.

More
25 Aug 2012 05:39 #55052 by newton
newton replied to: Re: Magaliesberg security issues
We hiked in Cederberg, Tonquani and Boulderkloof without any problems on 11 August. It will be very sad if we have to stay away from places like this because of crime. Let's hope for the best.

More
08 Oct 2012 11:46 #55395 by intrepid
intrepid replied to: Magaliesberg security issues
Don't have a lot of details but I am told there was another mugging at the MSP Slide Pools about two weeks ago.

More
24 Oct 2012 07:28 #55509 by intrepid
In addition to the one mentioned above, apparently there was a second mugging recently. Again, no further details known.

I have heard reports that crime has increased significantly in areas surrounding MSP and Cederberg-Tonquani again. Please be very careful when heading out there and preferably go in very big groups. I would avoid swimming at the big pools at the lower end of Tonquani and at MSP's Slide Pools.

More
11 Dec 2012 19:56 #55742 by intrepid
Latest incident was reported on MCSA Joburg Section email updates today: Saturday 8 December, permit holders pitched their tents at the Upper Tonquani campsite and went for a walk/swim. When they returned their tents had been ransacked.

Do not leave your gear unattended in this area. I'd say the best it that this applies to the Cederberg campsite too.

More
06 Feb 2013 12:33 #55987 by spook
spook replied to: Magaliesberg security issues
There have been a number of armed robberies and muggings at Utopia and Mountain Sanctuary Park. The level of violence has escalated significantly.3 incidents (at least) last week and 2 last night/today. Details to follow. Be careful

More