Magaliesberg traverse

17 Apr 2016 20:58 #67866 by john mark 1
john mark 1 created the topic: Magaliesberg traverse
Hi guys

Those of you who know the magaliesberg, I'm looking at doing a traverse and seeing how far we get. I guess the biggest issue will be trying to avoid private land. Permits won't be an issue - MCSA member.

Is there any advice you would give for a trip like this. Anything I should know of. I'm sure guys have done this before, any write ups of those trips? Anyone know where the official start and end points would be, although we'll probably just pick a start point and end when we feel like it.

A quick Google search hasn't reveled much/anything.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2016 21:52 #67867 by Stijn
Stijn replied to: Magaliesberg traverse
Hi John

A mate of mine (Brian Gardner) who lives in the area is looking to put together an access "permit" for the entire traverse from Kommando Nek (near the Hartbeespoort dam wall) to Olifantsnek Dam - around 70km in total. The idea is to have access permission from farmers as well as different points to access the ridge or drop down to get water/camp, etc.

We did a recce of the first 25km a few months ago - an awesome run/hike along the ridge, about 50% off-path. Here's a link to the GPS track: www.movescount.com/moves/move88999574

Please drop me a PM to get Brian's details and arrange access if you'd like to give it a go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ghaznavid, kbresler, GerritHuman

More
18 Apr 2016 09:13 #67872 by john mark 1
john mark 1 replied to: Magaliesberg traverse
Thanks Stijn. Have sent you a PM.

More
19 Apr 2016 14:03 #67889 by Neil Margetts
Neil Margetts replied to: Magaliesberg traverse
Hi

I would be interested, please keep me in the loop. info (at) saclimbingacademy.co.za

Thanks

Neil

More
19 Apr 2016 15:22 #67892 by Pyro
Pyro replied to: Magaliesberg traverse
Im keen on this. done a few hikes around Magalies, would love to link it all up.

More
19 Apr 2016 19:00 #67898 by intrepid
intrepid replied to: Magaliesberg traverse
I know that it has been done more than once but know very little about it, and I only know Breedtsnek to Olifantsnek well enough to comment on traversing. The biggest issue is private land. The escarpment along Kgaswane Nature Reserve is also officially a no-go area. Some time ago we did manage to secure permission to do it, but when we wanted to repeat the hike a year or two after that we were denied permission. The management of the park is very fussy about which trail you walk on, never mind where there is no trail.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
19 Apr 2016 19:49 #67902 by Deanvdm
Deanvdm replied to: Magaliesberg traverse

intrepid wrote: The biggest issue is private land.

Correct. Since the Magaliesberg is cut up i to many, many strips, a traverse will take you across 10s if not and 100s of private properties for which you need permission.

More
19 Apr 2016 22:59 #67915 by kbresler
kbresler replied to: Re:Magaliesberg traverse
Please keep me in the loop at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I'd be keen to get involved where possible. Thanks

Kobus

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

----
KB

More
21 Apr 2016 16:02 #67929 by Wizman
Wizman replied to: Magaliesberg traverse
Hi i have done the traverse of the Magalies from Foothold to Commando's nek and if you are looking to get permission from each owner it is going to take you a life time .

More
21 Apr 2016 17:24 #67930 by Herman
Herman replied to: Magaliesberg traverse
I've tried to get permission to do this in the past, and the short answer is that you won't. Some land isn't fenced, e.g. near the comms tower between Dome and Tonquani. But the owner doesn't take kindly to trespassers, esp. MCSA. Other land, like Kumbagana between Tonquani and Grootkloof, is fenced, I believe. The owners are also not interested in entertaining the idea of a traverse (although the Brauhaus Trailrun people have negogiated it in the past). The biggest problem is water, though. In some places the closest water is quite far off route and definitely on private/fenced land. Awesome trip, though.

More