Peeling fingers

09 Aug 2011 23:26 #3554 by Serious tribe
Hi guys

Here is a health/medical related question which i have often wondered about, as it has happened over my entire hiking career.

Usually about three weeks after i get back from a berg trip (4/5day winter trip) my fingers start to peal, usually starting at the skin on the side of the first digit and then moving up the remainder of my fingers onto the finger print side. It is just the first layer and usually lasts about 2 weeks until all the skin has been peeled off in small bits. I usually hike in winter, so it could be the cold and dryness. Anyone else have this experience?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2011 06:04 #3556 by diverian
Replied by diverian on topic Re: Peeling fingers
I have has similar symptons after exposure to cold, and what I can gather is that could be early stages of frost bite, refered to as "frost nip"

More
10 Aug 2011 07:00 #3560 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Re: Peeling fingers
This reminded me of a similar condition I used to suffer from. It was not just limited to winter though, got it from long April hikes too, but possibly still related to cold. I used to carry to some Camphor cream along and I think this helped a little. I don't seem to get it anymore for some reason, not sure why, and had actually forgotten about it.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
11 Aug 2011 06:41 #3594 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Re: Peeling fingers
@diverian

No this is not from extreme cold. I have had frost nip, and my finger tips lost their feeling for about a month after the trip. I had my gloves off for about 10 minutes whilst climbing the iced rock section up Corner Pass, and the pain as the blood came back into them was the most intense i have ever experienced.

It could also be due to slight dehydration. However, I do suffer from cold and yet sweaty feet and hands, and think it might be linked to poor circulation and adrenal system.

More
11 Aug 2011 15:34 #3621 by anthony
Replied by anthony on topic Re: Peeling fingers
I have also suffered from this a few times but could never quite figure it out.I suppose one of the hazards of been in the mountains when it is cold.:dry:

More