True left vs actual left

06 Aug 2014 11:47 #61477 by Riaang
Hi,

This is my first post on VE (awesome website)and I have a question: I've read a couple of times where people refer to say true left as opposed to actual left in trip reports. What is the difference? On a recent Berg hike a couple of us discussed this topic and we came to a conclusion, not sure it is right though. Could the experts shed some light on the subject please.

A couple of us will be hiking in the Mnweni area next weekend and I read that the veld is very dry, could anybody advise water availability in this area. Plan is to go up Mnweni pass, sleep in a cave on the escarpment and then walk down to the cultural centre. First night sleepover planned for ChiChi bushcamp, second night either Ledgers cave or the other cave near Rockeries pass.

Many thanks to all of you for all the information on this website, it is incredibly valuable.

Regards
Riaan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2014 12:36 #61479 by Smurfatefrog
Welcome Riaan

True left is the left of water flow. So if you are going up a pass and are on the right of the river, this is the true left because the river is flowing down the pass
The following user(s) said Thank You: eras

More
06 Aug 2014 12:56 #61481 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic True left vs actual left
Welcome to VE Riaan. For the sake of forum management, I have answered your water question in this thread:
www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/14-drakensberg-general/55637-blow-and-glow-season-2014.html#61480

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
06 Aug 2014 13:21 #61482 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic True left vs actual left
Thanks for the advice guys.
Smurfatefrog, we came to this conclusion so you have confirmed it, thanks :-)
Intrepid, thanks for the advise on water, I might just take a bladder with as well.

More