GPS setting to WGS84 or CAPE datum?

06 Dec 2015 13:03 #66057 by JOEDEVILLIERS
Who can help?

The maps recommend that one sets your gps to CAPE datum for use with the maps.
I have downloaded the GPS co-ords very kindly provided on this site, but see that they are based on WGS84...

So should I rather set my GPS to WGS84? Really just want to have some co-ords as backup in the case of bad weather in order to find the passes and a cave or two...

I have imported the points given on this site into my gps and they are now shown as waypoints, but I am worried they will be "out" as the gps is set to Cape Datum.....?

OR IS THERE SOMEWHERE ONE CAN CONVERT THEM OR IS THERE SOMEWHERE ONE CAN GET CAPE DATUM CO-ORDS?

can anyone help?
thanks
Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Dec 2015 13:12 #66058 by JOEDEVILLIERS
I just found a conversion tool on www.sofar.co.za ..... :)

More
08 Dec 2015 00:36 #66093 by intrepid
Hi Joe,
usually GPS software tools handle the conversion for you automatically and you don't need to worry about it. If you are manually punching in co-ordinates into your GPS, or reading them off the map, then yes, you should make sure the datum's are matched first.

VE publishes data based on the WGS84 datum in order to be more current and compatible with international standards - it is the international standard for GPS. The Cape Datum is outdated and was officially replaced by the Hartebeesthoek94 Datum as South Africa's official datum in 1999. Hart94 is based on the WGS84 ellipsoid and is very close to the WGS84 datum, close enough to be pretty much the same thing for practical purposes such as locating a cave. The Berp maps simply have not caught up yet.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kbresler

More