Why we seek adventure...

07 Jun 2016 17:30 #68678 by supertramp
Hi guys,

Have you ever tried explaining your love of the mountains to someone that has never been there before? If you are anything like me you may agree that it borders on the impossible. Words never quite do justice in explaining why we love the sense of adventure that much. No matter how hard we try, our words never quite seem to match up to that inner feeling we all experience.

I came across this time-lapse video today where a poet managed to explain in words the very emotions and reasons in a way I never thought possible. Please do take the time to watch it, it is out of this world!!!

Meager into the Might

Enjoy!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: kbresler, AdrianT, Redshift3, Papa Dragon, Coeta, GriffBaker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2016 17:52 #68679 by tiska
Replied by tiska on topic Why we seek adventure...
I remember when Andy de Klerk was awarded Sportsman of the Year at Univ of Cape Town in the 1980s. The award went to mainstream sports - certainly never to climbing. As part of his speech I seem to remember him saying "You can't lie to mountains". There was a lot in those words.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Viking, AdrianT, supertramp

More
07 Jun 2016 18:08 #68680 by Papa Dragon
Awesome thanks supertramp
"I'm the oldest I've been,and the youngest I ever will be"...
The following user(s) said Thank You: kbresler, supertramp, saros

More
07 Jun 2016 18:47 #68682 by Richard Hunt
@ supertramp: Great time lapse video! I have been checking out John Muir quotes and this one stood out for me today "Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out going to the mountains is going home, that wilderness is a necessity......John Muir"
The following user(s) said Thank You: kbresler, saros, Papa Dragon

More
07 Jun 2016 19:04 #68683 by supertramp
Replied by supertramp on topic Why we seek adventure...

Papa Dragon wrote: Awesome thanks supertramp

"All there will ever be, all there was and all there ever is, is RIGHT NOW..."
The following user(s) said Thank You: kbresler, Papa Dragon

More
07 Jun 2016 19:09 #68684 by supertramp
Replied by supertramp on topic Why we seek adventure...

Richard Hunt wrote: @ supertramp: Great time lapse video! I have been checking out John Muir quotes and this one stood out for me today "Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out going to the mountains is going home, that wilderness is a necessity......John Muir"

Couldn't agree with you more Richard. Another favorite John Muir quote of mine: " Few places in this world are more dangerous than home. Fear not, therefore, to try the mountain passes. They will kill care, save you from deadly apathy, set you free and call forth every faculty into vigorous, enthusiastic action..."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe, kbresler, Redshift3, Papa Dragon, Biomech

More
07 Jun 2016 20:30 #68685 by kbresler

Papa Dragon wrote: Awesome thanks supertramp

"You are never too old to be young." - Snow White

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Kobus Bresler
The following user(s) said Thank You: Redshift3, Papa Dragon

More
08 Jun 2016 08:56 #68694 by AdrianT
Great video, enjoyed that. The beginning of this is also super:
vimeo.com/47355798

I think we seek adventure because that's essentially what we require and what we are. We are not meant to drive cars, or sit in air-conditioned offices or be surrounded by thousands of people each day. The internet, cell phones, Whatsapp, Facebook, all popping up on our screens or making little noises that disrupt and constantly sit in our pockets. Yes, this is our reality, and yes it's only going to get more and more but a hundred years ago we certainly didn't live the way we do now. Roll back a few more hundred, even thousand years and you remember we did live in caves, grass huts and hunted animals. Our "progression" has been incredibly rapid in the grander scheme of things and whilst normal people may be quite satisfied with their lives, the people on this forum probably feel like something is missing, or perhaps they need an escape. I don't speak for everyone but certainly I cast myself into that category. I hate noisy restaurants and malls, too many people irritate me, traffic is something I try my utmost to avoid, but all these things I must learn to live with even though I struggle. I spent the last 10 years sitting in an office staring out the window (which wasn't always the case - no window!) wishing I was outside. How can it be that we're supposed to waste our lives away 5 days a week? So when someone asks me why I seek adventure I don't really even want to reply. If they're happy with their life and content to go to work, then watch television, talk about ball sports and have a braai and sink a bottle of brandy on the weekend - good for them. I don't own a television, it's bad enough I have a fast internet connection. To me, I do need that escape and it requires no justification apart from the fact that it makes me a better person. I feel calmer, more relaxed, happier. It's that simple.

I read a saying once and recall the authors name was Steiner "Ibsen" Willemse, something like that. "How could I know that the days that passed along was life itself"

I think that quote made me resign from at least two jobs...

For some interesting reading on the way your brain works, I would recommend the following two books: The Restful Mind by Gyalwa Dokhampa His Eminence Khamtrul Rinpoche, and a Calm Brain by Gayatri Devi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: elinda, Stijn, Christine, Richard Hunt, supertramp, saros, Redshift3, Papa Dragon, Coeta

More
08 Jun 2016 11:40 #68703 by elinda
AdrianT - you have encapsulated my thoughts exactly! I find the busier my life gets in the city, the more I long for the peace and tranquility of the mountains. There is no stress and no hurry whilst in Nature and I return feeling calmer - a holiday for the mind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AdrianT, Richard Hunt, supertramp

More