Insurance options

07 Feb 2017 17:03 #70848 by MarkT
Insurance options was created by MarkT
Go-Cover: insurance for ‘weekend warriors’

This looks pretty cool, basically cheap (starting from R10/day) insurance that covers you for injury and death over and above medical aids.

www.sanlam.co.za/gocover/Pages/default.aspx

It's all modern and app-based.

In the press: www.moneyweb.co.za/news/industry/on-demand-insurance-for-weekend-warriors/

I am not affiliated with this company, don't mean to break any rules... just saying it would be useful for other hikers and climbers. I have used TIC insurance in the past but this looks even more convenient.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Macc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2017 20:16 #70849 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Insurance options
I would have a few questions:
1) Would they cover you if you are injured in Lesotho? Most insurance/medical aid companies won't.
2) Would they consider a proper weekend out in the mountains to be an "extreme sport" (i.e. mountaineering) and thus not cover it anyway?
3) If they are that cheap, what are the odds they will actually ever pay out?

To do Kili, you have to have travel insurance, with a specific inclusion for mountaineering (I guess hiking up a very easy mountain a continental high point does count as mountaineering). Summit Ventures uses Santam, and when my flight got cancelled and I had to rebook the flights (which costs almost as much as the ticket cost in the first place) - and they did pay for the cost of rebooking and my lunch in Nairobi - so it did come in handy.

More
08 Feb 2017 05:49 #70850 by Macc
Replied by Macc on topic Insurance options
1) 'World-wide cover for South African citizens' - so I'm guessing that includes Lesotho
2) 'Whatever your adventure, pursuit, or everyday activity – we’ll have you covered'
3) I think the cheap factor plays into to the fact that although cheap, you only covered for a short period, like 3 days, so the chances of actually getting injured is pretty small. Also if you go through what they pay for and how much they pay, you really got to get messed up to get any good amount - Like R5k for a broken rib...nott exactly going to set you up for retirement.

"The three rules of mountaineering: It’s always further, taller and harder than it looks."

More
08 Feb 2017 10:35 #70851 by MarkT
Replied by MarkT on topic Insurance options
Yeah, I was also looking through the coverage - for the R100k option, it's R5K for a fractured rib that doesn't require hospitalisation, but if you're on the high end option, it's R20k, and if it's multiple fractures that require hospitalisation, then it's R500k.

I agree that you have to get messed up pretty bad for it to pay out large amounts, but it is over and above your standard medical aid.

Does the mountain rescue / SA military charge hikers for helicopter evacuations? If you end up badly hurt with a broken limb, you might be covered by your medical scheme for a hospital stay but will they cover the cost of search & rescue? I also wonder if this plan would cover the cost of the search & rescue if applicable

More
08 Feb 2017 10:39 #70852 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Insurance options
As far as I understand, your hiking permits include an insurance cost for helicopter evacuation. That is why the Sentinel Car Park permits matter is such a big issue.

More