MDT Mountain Leader Assessment

30 Jan 2018 09:24 #72736 by CaptRon
Is there anyone here who is a qualified assessor for MDT Mountain Leader? I have completed my course with Paul Roth and I have completed my consolidation period and would like to be assessed ASAP!

I am also considering doing GASG and registering with CATHSSETA but at this stage just getting the MDT ML is my priority. I have read all the websites but still slightly confused how much the new registration fees for CATHSSETA are in 2018. Can anyone inform me please? On the website it shows R240 but I have also been quoted R900 by one provider. That is a marked difference in price.

Does anyone have some good advice please?

Take only photos. Leave only footprints.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2018 11:08 #72737 by GriffBaker
Hi Captain Ron

Your best bet would probably be Gavin Raubenheimer at Peak High if you just want to do the assessment.

If you want to get qualified on the GASG course you will not find anyone in KZN to do that for you. I did mine and eventually went to Cape Town to do the assessment with Venture Forth.

If you want to get qualified as a legal adventure guide you will probably need to go to Cape Town and do the assessment.

In hindsight, I would not go this route again. I would rather do the AML leader assessment and then do a FGASA or Cultural Guiding qualification to get legal. Just because of the lack of GASG assessors in KZN.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CaptRon

More
30 Jan 2018 11:17 #72738 by GriffBaker
In case I am misconstrued. I am not knocking the GASG course. The online theory is very thorough and it is quite a bit of work. I just found the lack of assessors very frustrating for somebody in KZN.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CaptRon

More
30 Jan 2018 11:38 #72740 by CaptRon
Thanks GriffBaker

I do agree that lack of qualified assessors in KZN is frustrating. We have one of greatest mountain ranges in this province and I am sure more people hike the Drakensberg than most other mountain ranges in SA.

I am now a bit confused as to legalities. Does one need to do GASG and register with CATHSSETA OR can one just do FGASA and AML route?

I am basically doing this so I can lead expeditions for World Challenge and I require the MDT ML assessment for that. However I thought it would be good to just get legal in SA at the same time. Venture Forth are currently running courses in Drakensberg in February 2018 but they are not cheap.

I have contacted Gavin as I believe he is one of most experienced mountaineers in SA but not sure if he can do all the assessments. He definitely can do MDT ML assessment.

Take only photos. Leave only footprints.

More
30 Jan 2018 12:05 - 30 Jan 2018 12:08 #72741 by GriffBaker
If you want to legally guide paying clients you will need a CATHSSETA accredited qualification bases on SAQA unit standards. Once you have the certificate and proof of level III first aid course, you can register with your local tourism authority.

The AML side equips you with the technical knowledge to lead groups in the mountains but not provide you with a CATHSSETA certificate.

The GASG course incorporates the AML knowledge with the aim of getting you a guiding license.

If you just want to guide non paying people the AML award is fine.

I would not recommend guides leading people in the berg without the AML award but apparently, it is a loophole I probably shouldn't have raised.

I am sure there are more knowledgeable people on the forum regarding this topic than me though.

If you want an in-depth insight as to how I navigated the process drop me an email.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2018 12:08 by GriffBaker.

More