7 Summits possible in a year?

11 May 2018 15:36 #73467 by Bruere
Hello Guys.

Thought I'd get the smart people in the room together to figure out a logical way of climbing all 7 summits in a 12 month period.Let's just assume that money is not a major problem.
Let's also assume that the 7 summits is the Bass-version with Kosciuszko.

Obviously my concerns in order of headache would be Vinson , Everest , Denali in terms of weather/trip duration/chances of success etc.

This is just for interest sake!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2018 19:02 - 11 May 2018 19:03 #73471 by ghaznavid
Would VE be the best place to get info on this topic? Probably not. I have done Kili, I know a few others on the site have done Kili as well, and some have probably done Aconcagua. I am not sure if any of the others have been done by other VE members - but you never know. I'd post this question on the Alpine Climbing facebook group, or on Summit Post - where a number of people have experience on the 7 summits.

Nonetheless, here's an answer from someone who has done 14% of the 7 summits :lol:

Possible is a strong word. Is it possible to do a DGT in under 50 hours? For 3 people - apparently it is, for most, no. Is it possible to climb Everest twice in a week? For Killian Jornet, yes, for most people, no.

Your biggest difficulty would be timing - you can have Aconcagua and Everest on opposite ends as their ideal climbing window is close, with Vinson and Aconcagua close (which also helps from a simplified travel point of view). Denali and Elbrus have a conveniently opposite climbing window to the others, courtesy of hemispheres. For Kili and Mount Kosciuszko timing doesn't really matter. But if you want people to take you seriously - do Puncak Jaya as well, just to be sure. I believe most people regard the Messner list over the Bass list anyway. And some people strangely put Mont Blanc on the list - although who knows why (I know ASL has climbed that one, if you want topo from a VE member).
Last edit: 11 May 2018 19:03 by ghaznavid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bruere

More
12 May 2018 10:30 #73474 by Adventurekim.com
HI a couple of people attempted it in 2 years. If my memory servers me right Mandy Ramsden, the first South African Female to complete the 7 summits, did it quickly so she would be a good person to chat to. You will find her on Facebook if you don't have any luck PVT me and I will give you her cell no/email. Also the other person to help regarding logistics would be my mate Sean Disney. He as done all 8 of the 7 summits twice and the grand slam (north and south pole included). He has an international mountain guiding company, Adventure Dynamics International and their contact details are on his website. again if you need his cell/email pvt me.

The biggest challenge is the financial one, one of the biggest reasons I have not been able to continue my quest is started in 2005 and had originally planned it over 7 years. I have been lucky enough to climb and summit kili twice (Umbwe and Rongai routes) and reached my goal of summiting all 3 of Kilis recognized summits (Uhuru peak, Gilman's Point, Stella Point). Kili is harder than you expect, do not underestimate it, and saw many people peeping and vomiting blood and being carried/dragged down the mountain barely conscious. Kili is a fairly good marker to use as to how your body would cope with altitude. Its not a difficult hike at all. Mafadi is much harder!! but altitude is the defining monster.

Elbrus should be your second one as you will be introduced to Alpine conditions and some ice axe and rope use. The snow is deep, really cold and exhausting and the wind and storms up there are unbelievable. We had a 4 day rescue and a death while we were up there. not our group thankfully. I went in 2016 and it cost me R80k with all my equipment (boots were R10K) and trip (lots of over time and 2 years savings!). Once you have completed these two it will give you and idea as to how your body will cope. Interesting I struggled with altitude on Kili but not Elbrus. My 02 SATS were always at 94% and HR 88 to 90 while others had heart rates of over 120 and SATS as low as 88%. So very different.

If you are going to go to all the expense and trouble then add Carsten's Pyramid as your 8th, as some of the lists don't recognize Kosi as one of the summits but most of the guys have done all 8 just in case things change. Yes CP has become really expensive and for a long time it was not always open and run by the military. Many of the guys were smuggled in, but they do run guided trips, even a helicopter one to avoid going up the rock face! CP is on my list of the 7 highest Island that I'm busy with as a substitutes of the big 7 - more financially viable for me lol.

would be a very tight squeeze to do it in a year as the big mountains are only climbed during seasons and time frames may clash which is probably why the 2 years plan is more doable.

hope my rookie 5cents helps.
best of luck and keep us posted!!
warmest Kim.

adventurekim.com

More
14 May 2018 14:13 #73482 by Grandeur
Out of interest sake... I also did some reading on this topic

Evidently it is possible. Very possible!
The record has just been broken for the fastest 7 summits - it now stands at 117 days.
You can find more here: project7in4.com/live-tracking/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Macc, Bruere

More
14 May 2018 15:37 #73483 by ghaznavid
Interestingly enough - the 7 Volcanic Summits have still never been completed (well, as far as I know). The highest volcano in Asia was believed to be Damavand in Iran, but a higher unclimbed volcano in Tibet was found a few years back (well, no documented ascents - wouldn't be the first time that a first ascent team finds evidence of ancient human ascents on a 6000er, and are therefore are not actually the first ascent team). It is in a disputed territory, and being a 6000er with no recorded ascents, the permit fee would be significant. Not to mention that it is something like 100km from the nearest road, in an area where you need military clearance to enter and are not allowed to overnight. It might also be the least impressive looking summit ever, just looks like a big pile of ash. (source: Summit Post article on 7 Volcanic Summits)

For that matter - I can't find who first completed the original list of the 7 volcanic summits. The list is "easy" - with the only technical climbing being a short scramble at the top of Ojos, and all the peaks are easily accessible (well, compared to the 7 Summits anyway). Ojos del Salado and Pico de Orizaba don't even require permits, and your flight to Iran will put you within a short drive of the start of Damavand. Kili and Elbrus are communal to both lists. Notably Ojos is one of the Second Summits, Pico de Orizaba is a third summit.

More
16 May 2018 12:32 #73501 by Adventurekim.com
EPIC, Yes was about to post but you got it in before me. LOL. What a record my word that man is a machine! so there you go 117 days is the record!

adventurekim.com

More