Easter 2018

31 Jan 2018 06:58 #72743 by AndrewP
AndrewP created the topic: Easter 2018
This Easter (30 Mar to 2 Apr) I will be leading an MCSA meet to the Mnweni area. I am going to open the meet up and invite VE members to join.

Exact plans will emerge closer to the time, but my plan is to do a combined hiking / climbing meet to the Mnweni cutback area. I am thinking of setting up a base camp on the escarpment in the bowl at the back of the cutback or nearby. Climbers can tackle the Mnweni Pinnacles, or any of the numerous pinnacles (Eeny, Meeny etc; 12 Apostles; uCickane) in the cutback itself. Hikers can get a chance to do some of the more interesting passes in the area such as Mnweni Buttress Pass, Hanging Valleys Pass or just a stroll along the lip of the cutback looking at all the pinnacles. And, if you have ever wanted to get a photo of someone on top of the Mnweni Pinnacles, this is a better chance than most.

I will probably hire someone from the Mnweni Visitor Center to spend a day or 2 on top to look after everyone’s tents, thus freeing everyone up to a day with light bags and hopefully bouncy steps.

You can join for either the whole trip, or just pitch up for a few hours to say Hi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: elinda, firephish, tonymarshall, GriffBaker, WarrenM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2018 08:15 #72744 by firephish
firephish replied to: Easter 2018
possibly keen, will see if planets align.

More
31 Jan 2018 17:58 #72747 by elinda
elinda replied to: Easter 2018
This sounds great Andrew ! - we will definitely give this some thought as we were thinking of doing something in the Mnweni area over Easter. Keep us posted...................

More
31 Jan 2018 18:29 #72748 by Richard Hunt
Richard Hunt replied to: Easter 2018
O yes...a photo of someone standing on top of the pinnacle has got my blood pumping!!!! been talking to Elinda about exploring the Hanging Valley/Cutback area for some time now....Andrew sounds good!!!!!!

More
06 Feb 2018 13:50 #72773 by Richard Hunt
Richard Hunt replied to: Easter 2018
@AndrewP....is this the area you plan to tent in?

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: AdrianT, AndrewP, GriffBaker

More
06 Feb 2018 20:29 #72774 by AndrewP
AndrewP replied to: Easter 2018
It will depend a bit on water, but yes, relatively nearby. I really like your pic, it gives a great perspective of the depth and complexity of the cutback and surrounds

I am sure we could put people or a tent at a spot that will give better pics as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard Hunt

More