Bivvy Bags

22 Aug 2016 08:57 #69603 by Macc
Replied by Macc on topic Bivvy Bags
Hey Wookie,

I was planning on ordering end-ish of this week. I only need my bag mid-October so a mid-September dispatch should be ok. I am also pretty sure 'mid-September' is the latest they will get stock and could have a little earlier. International postage is estimated at 10days so we should be ok.

I'll DM you my contact number so we can chat on Whatsapp or something to finalise details.

"The three rules of mountaineering: It’s always further, taller and harder than it looks."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2017 08:46 #71084 by robfanucchi
Replied by robfanucchi on topic Bivvy Bags
Hi Guys,

Has anyone had any experience yet with the SOL Escape Bivvy.

I see Drifters is selling them for about R1200 or so, but I have a family member off to the states soon and I could get it there for about R650.

Otherwise can you guys recommend a bivvy that I could perhaps look at in the states thats under or around the R1000 mark that is obviously breathable and light weight.
BD Twilight is pushing my budget a bit.

Also do any of you know any online stores over there that have the best pricing to look at?

Thanks
Rob.

More
07 Mar 2017 08:58 #71085 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Bivvy Bags
The BD Twilight Bivvy is horrible - I own one. Just replaced it with an Adtrek Bivvy from Amazon, which is lighter and has better features, and is a fraction of the price. Neither is breathable, but at least the Adtrek one has a full length zip, so you can have it open in places to allow for breathability.

Getting to the top is nothing, the way you do it is everything – Royal Robins

More
08 Mar 2017 09:15 #71094 by robfanucchi
Replied by robfanucchi on topic Bivvy Bags
Thanks for the info Ghaznavid,

But unfortunately I couldnt find the Adtrek on the american Amazon though.

Looking at the SOL Escape it has fairly good reviews and I have now found it even cheaper over there for the equivalent of R400.
But however I would still be interested to hear from anyone here who has had experience with it.

Cheers.

More
08 Mar 2017 14:44 #71101 by Macc
Replied by Macc on topic Bivvy Bags
I have an Alpkit Hunka ( alpkit.com/products/hunka ) which I am very happy with...although I've only spent two nights out in it, both had considerable rainfall and I stayed pretty dry.

Not 100% of the breathability, but I didn't wake up in a puddle of sweat so I guess it is good. The inside stayed nice and cool to the touch, which was weird because I thought it was wet but is wasn't...just cool.

Alpkit also have amazing service and incredible response times to queries.

"The three rules of mountaineering: It’s always further, taller and harder than it looks."

More
08 Mar 2017 19:51 #71103 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Bivvy Bags
Hi Rob, I have the SOL Escape Lite. I use it as a back-up for day hikes, or for trips where there is a long, committing, summit-day push from a base camp, as is often the case for me. I did not buy it as a regular-use bivvy, I have others for that. It is not durable and will eventually break on the stitching, or the fabric may get torn. It is perfect for emergency use, and is amazingly compact and lite. I carry mine frequently, but have only used it once for about 2 hours when I was struggling to get warm inside my sleeping bag. Not sure if I have the exact same model you are considering, but from what I've seen of SOL they are for emergency use and won't last long if you use them frequently.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
11 Mar 2019 12:24 #74748 by vivo101
Replied by vivo101 on topic Bivvy Bags
I recently added this Outdoor Research Helium bivvy to my fast and light kit. Bought it at REI in the states on sale and shipped with a friend on a business trip. Weighs in at 510g (including pole), which is insanely light for a hooped bivy. It has a 30D Pertex Shield 2.5Layer upper and 70D laminated floor. Set it up over the weekend and I'm very happy with the workmanship on it. It is quite spacious inside for smaller frame users like myself, and I should be able to stow a fastpack, shoes and gear at my feet. I have yet to test it out in the berg, but will definitely report back after a couple of trips. Reviews received regarding breathability and waterproofness were very positive, so I'm super keen to try it out.

"To those who are enthralled by mountains, their wonder is beyond all dispute. To those who are not, their allure is a kind of madness." - Mountain

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: AdrianT, Andreas

More
12 Mar 2019 11:54 #74762 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Bivvy Bags
@Vivo101, Looks like a decent piece of kit :-)

I purchased a couple of RAB Alpine bivvies for my wife and myself and have up to now been very happy with it. Only one had a problem with condensation, but I had the bag completely closed on a very cold night (wind was a bit cold on my face so zipped it up completely), have since purchased a balaclava which should help in this regard. Also, the only place where I had condensation issues was close to where my mouth was, as vapour from exhaling caused the majority of condensation issues. The balaclava should sort that out on cold winter hike sin future.

My main concern is with rain though. Normally I take a tent in summer, but want to start taking the bivvy instead. However, mine doesn't have a hood so space is a bit limited inside, and then breathablilty will be an issue in warmer weather. To solve this I would have to zip open partially, but then the rain will be more of an issue than condensation. Any suggestions as to what to do here?

I normally take a light-weight tarp along in case we experience wet weather. My thinking was that, without pitching the tarp (let's say in a worse case scenario it gets ripped apart by the wind), I could at least just throw the tarp over our faces, or pin it down close to the ground and crawl in underneath so that basically only our chests and heads are out of the direct rain. In this way I can then zip open the top of the bivvy bags. Not very convenient or cosy at all, but at least it should work. Fortunately haven't had to try out the theory. I guess I could also prop up our backpacks and put them in under the trap, this should give us a bit of height and the tarp openings would still be close to the ground, so the wind shouldn't be too much of an issue.

This is all quite crude, any eloquent solutions? Whatever solution should consider weight saving, durability and cost as high priorities.

More
19 Mar 2019 12:59 #74819 by vivo101
Replied by vivo101 on topic Bivvy Bags
@Riaang I will be testing it out on a upcoming trip in April to see if condensation will be an issue. However due to it having a clamshell design opening and raised sides by the zips, my plan is just to leave the zip partially open in one corner. That way even running water should not be able to enter the Bivvy.

I specifically wanted a bivy with a hoop, as I will not be using it as a "just incase emergency" item. With the Rab bivvies though I think a tarp will do the trick, however I think that the notorious berg winds might make a kite out of it. It would also be possible to stake the tarp flat over the bivvys with you're backpacks proping it up a bit as you mentioned, I think this would be the best option by far. Have a look at the Ultimate Direction FK tarp, it already has guy-wires attached and makes use of two trekking poles to prop it up. This will be perfect to use in non-windy rainy conditions in the lower berg, you will also be able to fully unzip the bivvy. 

"To those who are enthralled by mountains, their wonder is beyond all dispute. To those who are not, their allure is a kind of madness." - Mountain

More