K-Way Extreme Lite 500 Down Sleeping Bag

23 Nov 2011 19:20 #4982 by Boerkie

This compact sleeping bag, designed for adventurers or adventure racers, was created for summer evening conditions, but coupled with an inner sheet will provide incredible warmth and flexibility in cooler conditions too. Luxurious and lightweight, the Extreme Lite 500 provides its user with an extremely versatile sleeping solution.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2011 08:21 #4983 by plouw
Boerkie, do you by any chance work for Cape Union Mart? ;)

More
24 Nov 2011 08:37 #4984 by Boerkie
I wish :thumbsup:

I'm in industrial construction :sick:

The reason I gave the bag a good review is because it is really good!

More
24 Nov 2011 09:23 - 24 Nov 2011 09:24 #4985 by intrepid
I really like the fact that they brought out an ultra-light bag, that always gets my attention. They are on the right track with this. I had a look at the bag in one of the stores. It does have a nice, soft, silky feel to it. I like the black colour too, though that is very much a cosmetic consideration.

Currently I use a Kway Chamonix bag for summer hikes. Its comfort rating is 0-15 deg C and weighs 900g. I'm a cool sleeper compared to most guys and often fall asleep nice and cosy but tend to wake up early in the morning a bit cold and have to wrap up a little more. I've had some summer nights on the Berg escarpment where the Chamonix's comfort was starting to get stretched a little.

What I would like to see in the Extreme Lite 500 is an improvement in the comfort rating (closer to 0 deg C) without adding to the weight. I think this would be possible by making the bag slimmer since it is quite spacious. Now I know that some folks prefer the space, but since the bag is designed for "adventurers or adventure racers" I think that performance should win over comfort in this regard.

Am definitely curious about the bag as I wouldn't mind trading in the Chamonix at some point. Has anyone else used it?

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 24 Nov 2011 09:24 by intrepid.

More
24 Nov 2011 10:29 #4987 by ghaznavid
@Plouw: Lol, CUM does have some good equipment, I have FA and K-Way hiking shirts and I find that my K-Way ones are better in almost every regard than my FA ones...

I considered buying that bag, but the comfort rating is too warm. I currently own 2 bags, a Mountain Hardware Pinole -7 bag at 1.4kg and a K-Way Alpine Cowl -2 bag at 1.8kg. Both are hollow fibre. Due to the weight I never use my Alpine Cowl any more, a -7 bag can always have its zip left undone if it gets too hot, but for non-hiking occasions I always use my K-Way bag as it is much more comfortable, and isn't ever too hot, even when its 15 degrees at night.

Getting to the top is nothing, the way you do it is everything – Royal Robins

More
16 Dec 2011 13:46 #5165 by ghaznavid
Did anyone else notice that Cape Union Mart posted this link on their facebook page?

More
28 Sep 2013 07:40 #58599 by ghaznavid
I'm looking at buying one of these - anyone tried this in temperatures around or below 0?

More
28 Sep 2013 09:35 #58600 by Viking
Ghaz, are you collecting sleeping bags now? :)

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

More
28 Sep 2013 10:56 #58602 by ghaznavid

viking5 wrote: Ghaz, are you collecting sleeping bags now? :)

Apparently :P

One of my goals is to be able to do 2 day hikes off a daypack. So the plan is to carry my tiny air mattress (which I tried last weekend - it worked great in sub-zero), if I then add a sleeping bag that also folds up small I am really set as those are the 2 things that take the most space in ones pack. No gas stove also helps.

As far as tents go - I will get myself a 200g bivy bag at some point. I also like the fact that caves don't have to fit into my pack...

More
29 Sep 2013 18:21 #58603 by Viking
I've been mulling the same idea re daypack etc.

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

More