trail shoes/running shoes
8 21.6%
boots
29 78.4%
gumboots
No votes 0%
other
No votes 0%
Total number of voters: 37 ( Wezleyb, andrew r, eras, hikers delight, Sabine ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
10 Mar 2014 17:47 - 10 Mar 2014 17:55 #59820 by tiska
I have set up this poll in response to the related thread
www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/16-drakensberg-grand-traverse/55522-best-shoes-for-the-drakensberg-grand-traverse.html which was started by Dylan.

I'm interested to know the ratios of boots to trail shoes/running shoes as I never wear boots and have always come out fine, even in the snow!

If there were a way of including the poll in the GT best shoes thread, and if Dylan were happy with it, then it would be tidier, though I can't do that myself.
Last edit: 10 Mar 2014 17:55 by tiska.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2014 21:38 #59822 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Poll on preferred shoes
Gumboots should automatically get 5000 votes for the locals on both sides of the border...

"Other" - barefoot, slops, crocs, palm leaves, walking on your hands, socks only etc. If the many people who do the chain ladders unprepared completed the above, perhaps high-heels would need to be added to the list :laugh:

More
11 Mar 2014 16:33 #59833 by Captain
Replied by Captain on topic Poll on preferred shoes
My Salomon Quest and Cosmic boots are really comfy. After wearing the Quest for a while I managed to get a good deal on the Cosmic...so I use both depending on how cold I expect it to be. The Quest has quite a bit of leather and I find it more insulating than the Cosmic :-)

More
12 Mar 2014 11:37 #59837 by ruthtbl
Replied by ruthtbl on topic Poll on preferred shoes
I must admit that I have never seriously tried to hike in trail running shoes, beyond a few day hikes that I found pretty miserable (strangely, I definitely think that trail runners give me blisters more often than boots).

I used to wear a pair of hand-me-down leather hi-tec mid boots, which I loved, but they gave up the ghost after our last multi-day hike in the Drakensberg. I tried both Salomon's and Merial's to replace them, but neither of these brands was wide enough in the toe box and around the ball of my foot. I now have the Keen Gypsum Mid boot , which is fantastic if you have a wider foot. I don't know much about this brand, other than the fact that they started out making sandals I think, but so far this boot has been really good. I have been wearing it for about 3 months every week-day morning when I walk in the Faerie Glen Nature Reserve. It is definitely waterproof (walking through wet grass is no problem), and the one time I accidentally left the boots outside in the rain, they dried within 24 hours. I far prefer mid boots to full boots - I just can't seem to get my ankles to be comfortable in full boots, no matter which way I lace them.

'Please accept the stimulation'

More
12 Mar 2014 14:34 - 12 Mar 2014 14:35 #59840 by Drakensbergie
I also have pair of Keens, super comfortable and my favourite "conventional hiking" boot i.e. Blydepoort etc. I used to have a pair of Hi-Tecs 'til the soles came of in the Cape Mountains. Saving up for Salomon Cosmics... Reading some of the reports makes me suspect that some of us VE'ers can hopscotch backwards up Ship's Prow wearing nothing but some slops, so I guess trailshoes could work, but boots for me, and wait for me at the top please :P
Last edit: 12 Mar 2014 14:35 by Drakensbergie.

More
12 Mar 2014 21:21 #59843 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Poll on preferred shoes

mnt_tiska wrote: If there were a way of including the poll in the GT best shoes thread, and if Dylan were happy with it, then it would be tidier, though I can't do that myself.

I can merge the threads (probably the other one into this one, because this one is a poll thread) though the sequence of posts will clash a little bit. Do we want to vote on this generally though, or specific to the GT question?

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
24 Mar 2014 08:28 #59935 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Poll on preferred shoes
Its so strange, I've been giving this topic a lot of thought ever since I saw this thread. Thinking about the countless times that my boots have saved me from spraining my ankle after my foot has landed skew on some rough ground.

It seems that my recent thoughts on the topic managed to tempt fate.

On Saturday myself and two others were returning from Lakes Cave. I took a step down a decline, and my foot landed at an angle, and so the combined weight of my body and pack came crashing down on a sideways ankle. I collapsed in a heap on the floor, and instantly knew that some damage had been done. I inspected my boots to try and see why the had allowed my ankle to turn like that. I realised that I had been wearing my boots loosely laced at the camp, then foolishly forgotten to tighten them properly when we headed off to our next campspot downstream.

Although it was painful, I was still able to walk at a reasonably pace. However my whole ankle had obviously been structurally weakened from the injury, and within 5 minutes on another step down, my ankle buckled again. This time the pain was much worse, and I was properley shaken up by it. I remember thinking how glad I was that this hadnt happened at the top of a pass!

After lacing up the boot very tightly, and using 2 trekking poles to lean on, I managed to complete the 4km to our overnight campsite, and the further 4km the next morning across the relatively easy terrain of the lower Cobham valleys.

Although much of the injury was due to my top laces being too loose, the boot definitely prevented the injury from being a lot worse. I cringe at what would have happened if I was only wearing trail running shoes.

Only tightly laced boots for me going forward :)

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe, ghaznavid, elandman, Sabine, ruthtbl

More
25 Mar 2014 14:25 - 25 Mar 2014 14:26 #59995 by Dylan
Replied by Dylan on topic Poll on preferred shoes
Hi mnt_tiska

Sorry I have only just seen this post. I would be more than happy to include the poll in that thread, only I am new to this so would not know how to go about it!!
Last edit: 25 Mar 2014 14:26 by Dylan.

More