Phones as GPS units

08 Jan 2011 13:01 #2182 by Serious tribe
For all those apple heads out there.

I found two apps for the iphone which might be of interest to some folks.

The first is a walking/hiking recording app called Sprint GPS. It makes use of the inbuilt gps of the iphone to record your track speed, distance, calorie usage and altitude and plots it on google maps. It looks like it requires line of site with towers though. So it has its uses for training.

The other is Gaia GPS which requires line of site to down load tracks and maps. However once these have been loaded it seems like it runs as a stand alone gps system. You can download gpx files with tracks and maps and or scan your own paper maps and save them as gpx files and then upload to your iphone. I have not really got to grips with it yet or done any uploads of maps.

I don't believe that this will take the place of a gps system, but it has its uses. They are both available as free or pay to use apps.

If anyone has any additional info on the gpx file uploads to iphone I would like to know how to go about it, and if anyone has used these or other, it would make good reading.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2013 01:19 #55953 by Oneye
Replied by Oneye on topic Phones as GPS units
I am replying 2 years later!

Just bought an iPhone 4S. I intend to leave my Garmin at home. 10m accuracy good enough.

Planning to be in SA in October.

What have you discovered? I only use waypoints (position and altitude). A "go to" is good. A compass is good.

I know to set the phone to airplane mode (phone off) to save battery. I am no slouch, what I can't find I shall create.

More
30 Jan 2013 08:00 #55954 by HFc
Replied by HFc on topic Phones as GPS units
Try Motion-X-GPS app for iPhone. My choice in terms of features. AFAIK it is also quite cheap. Have had a number of successful day hikes, including some new scrambling routes that the iPhone traced accurately enough to assist during the decent.

Also great for cycling offcourse.

More
02 Jun 2015 14:15 #64112 by Silverthorne
Replied by Silverthorne on topic Phones as GPS units
Hi Guys, great site!

If mostly trolled the site reading allot of posts, so I'd like to formally introduce myself.

I am from Kzn and hike the mzimkulu wilderness area frequently sleeping in (non-tourist) caves or camping on escarpments. I love the place, water is clean and readily available and beautiful as heck.

NOw to the question in the subject. Does anyone know of or use an app that can save maps to your device and also allows saving of GPS coordinates? I would like to track and keep record of the caves I have slept in and distance traveled. I have slept in a few caves unmarked on the maps I have so would also like to tie down if they are known or not by their co-ordinates.

Google maps only keeps the saved map for 30 days, so that wont work and there are bunch of apps on playstore that id rather not download and try unless someone has experience in or recommends one.

Thanks allot :)

More
02 Jun 2015 14:31 #64113 by firephish
Replied by firephish on topic Phones as GPS units
I use OruxMaps, pretty simple but functional.

More
02 Jun 2015 14:39 #64114 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Phones as GPS units
I use Polaris Navigation
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.discipleskies.android.polarisnavigation&hl=en

From what I recall the free version lets you save only 2 waypoints, but you can always get the paid version if it works well enough for you.

More
02 Jun 2015 14:41 #64115 by vanhimself
Replied by vanhimself on topic Phones as GPS units
Welcome,

I use backcountry navigator app. backcountrynavigator.com/
It is a paid app but you can explore the app using the trial version for 2 weeks, I think.

You can either make use of the offline map feature and basically just download the area you will be hiking.
Alternatively downloaded a map for SA - OpenAndroMaps - www.openandromaps.org/en/downloads/africa which has contour lines, a number of hiking trials, huts, caves etc.

Hope this helps.

More
02 Jun 2015 15:18 #64116 by Silverthorne
Replied by Silverthorne on topic Phones as GPS units
Wow thanks allot for the quick response. Im checking out the apps now, just need to find which one is not that great of a resource hogs and battery drainer. I think a 3 day hike is in order :laugh:

More
02 Jun 2015 15:19 - 02 Jun 2015 15:22 #64117 by Dillon
Replied by Dillon on topic Phones as GPS units
I haven't tried any of the other ones mentioned, but I have had great success with this one:

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.codesector.maverick.lite&hl=en

What I like about it:
- It's free
- You can load KML tracks to it that you have created in Google Earth.
- It can track your progress in real time on the above mentioned KML track, including distances to and from your proposed start/end point etc.
- Most importantly, once you have zoomed in a map online, it saves your recent maps in its's cache, so you don't have to have an internet connection to see a Google Earth type image of your surroundings while you are standing there. Obviously the cache size is limited, so it won't save satellite images for every hike you've ever done, but zoom in on the surrounding area of your upcoming hike and it should have the whole image available for viewing without an internet connection for the duration of said hike.
Last edit: 02 Jun 2015 15:22 by Dillon.

More
03 Jun 2015 06:36 #64120 by saros
Replied by saros on topic Phones as GPS units
Hi and Welcome!!

I use strava to record my hikes, Free version is very functional you just cant download other users GPX files. The user will have to download their own track and pass it on.

I then use GPX Tracker or similar to load tracks and follow with that if need be.

Strava is nice as it gives you your stats for the hike, moving time, altitude gain, max altitude and distance. Calorie counter and if you have a compatible heart rate monitor you can use that to!!

Enjoy :)

More