merino baselayer

08 Sep 2017 22:23 - 08 Sep 2017 22:24 #72104 by ryanlynx
ryanlynx created the topic: merino baselayer
Anyone have any input on topic of Merino baselayer shirts? This would be for winter time hiking (including trips like to EBC).

Found so far 3 brands as options:
Icebreaker @ R999.000 ( driftersadventurecentre.co.za/onlineshop/underwear/ibreaker-mns-eday-crew-200/ )
HH Warm @ R899.00 ( www.hikersparadise.co.za/2070/hh%20warm%20ice%20crew%20.aspx )
Core Merino @ R785.00 ( coremerino.com/product/raglan-crew-neck-2/ )

Core Merino is cheapest, and a local company based in PE. I have contacted them to ask about if their products are 100% merino, but still waiting reply.

Even though the higher price for shirt made from Merino wool, considering the above due to exceptional quality of warmth and anti-bacterial (can wear for days). Would be interested to know if anyone has input why one might be better than other (or other better option).

IMO when you are paying that much and investing in your gear, the difference in pricing become bit less big factor. But still you want to then have gotten the right gear that don't have to swap out too soon.
Last Edit: 08 Sep 2017 22:24 by ryanlynx.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2017 06:33 #72107 by ghaznavid
ghaznavid replied to: merino baselayer
I have an Icebreaker one, been using it for ages. It is old and messed up now, but it still works fine. Nice and warm, and fairly light.

"Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." - Ed Viesturs

More
09 Sep 2017 15:54 #72108 by elinda
elinda replied to: merino baselayer
I am a huge fan of Merino products and don't hike in anything else. To me the hefty price is worth it as there are a number of advantages - warmth to weight being excellent, and a big winner for me is that you can wear these garments for days on end, and they don't smell at all. I have the more lightweight t-shirts for day hiking and a heavier long sleeved shirt for colder days. The only disadvantage of the light weight shirts is that they can snag pretty easily, especially when bundu bashing. I have a few small holes in some of my shirts, but have patched these up and they are good to go.

I also tried getting hold of Core Merino in PE. Emailed them with no reply, and then phoned them and was told that it was easy just to order on line. This I did and subsequently found that they have no banking details anywhere on their site. So I emailed them again......and you guessed it, am still waiting for a reply! So I ordered Icebreaker from Drifters and they were delivered within a matter of days.

More
11 Sep 2017 10:43 - 11 Sep 2017 10:44 #72113 by AdrianT
AdrianT replied to: merino baselayer
I bought a top from Core Merino in 2013, just checked my old e-mails. Great service and an amazing product. Just be sure on their sizes. They advised me to get XL and it is a snug fit but still works well. I am large for something like K-Way products. The top has served me very well and it is super warm. Not itchy at all. I wore it several days last week in fact. The material is shipping to Fiji and made there. I highly recommend them. Sorry to hear two of you had less than satisfactory experiences thus far. Zero problems, no shrinkage, quality workmanship. EDIT: and extremely warm. And the photos show a dirty product I hauled out the basket.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last Edit: 11 Sep 2017 10:44 by AdrianT.

More
11 Sep 2017 10:49 #72115 by AdrianT
AdrianT replied to: merino baselayer
As I side note I've also been kayaking with a Helly Hansen base layer for many years and their products are top class too. I don't have the merino one but an old polyester of sorts (I guess) and even in Norway, Sweden and the cold Western Cape rivers it is still going strong and has always been my base layer, combined with fleece or usually two fleeces under a dry suit. I bought it in 2004 and can you believe, it doesn't even smell? The label is too stuffed to derive any information but HH you also cannot go wrong with. Just my 2 cents :thumbsup:

More