INREACH MINI HIRE

05 Nov 2022 20:05 #78110 by Danny03
INREACH MINI HIRE was created by Danny03
Hi there all.
I'm doing a 5 day cave sleepover hike from Sentinel to Cathedral hotel in December. Anybody know where I can rent a Garmin inReach mini from. Would like to have peace of mind in case of a emergency. 
Thanks 
Danny

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2022 23:04 #78118 by Edwin128
Replied by Edwin128 on topic INREACH MINI HIRE
maybe too hard to find someone willing to rent one, but you can get vodacom signal in the escarpment if that helps.

More
13 Nov 2022 06:26 #78124 by wildingo
Replied by wildingo on topic INREACH MINI HIRE
There are companies that hire Sat phones on a short term basis.  I looked into it awhile back and it wasn't an arm and a leg. 

More
24 Nov 2022 08:21 #78140 by Beard
Replied by Beard on topic INREACH MINI HIRE
All the best with this.
Have you considered downloading free Gaia Maps App? This only works with GPS (which saves battery as it only used the GPS when you open the APP)
It aslo mean you can carry less devices and with a small powerbank you will have plenty of battery life (if phone DATA is switched off)
Just a thought - i have sold all my Garmin devices since using Gaia and have done ove 15 hikes in the Berg using only my Gaia app.

More
24 Nov 2022 15:09 #78141 by West
Replied by West on topic INREACH MINI HIRE
I hired a satphone from www.sat4rent.co.za/  for a Namiba driving trip in April, they also do the Garmin spot and other devices.  A satphone with some airtime cost me about R130 a day.

More
29 Nov 2022 21:37 #78149 by Danny03
Replied by Danny03 on topic INREACH MINI HIRE
Hi Beard.
I've been using Gaia for quite a while now. But switched over to LOCUS maps. I find it to be a much better app.
Reason for Inreach is purely for emergencies. Did Ifidi last year in December and had almost no communication whatsoever.  I got a Vodacom sim because I understand that it's better on the escarpment than MTN.
Will give it a go without the inreach.
thanks

More
Yesterday 11:05 #78150 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic INREACH MINI HIRE
Since Telkom's roaming agreement with Vodacom became a reality, their reception in the Berg has improved substantially. But, as you say, there are still places where reception is either poor or non-existent. This affects calls much more than navigation, so in case of having to reach somebody quickly, the Inreach is the safer bet.

More