Rock climbing equipment

05 Sep 2012 17:38 #55158 by ghaznavid
Looking forward to heading that way tomorrow. Should be good fun :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2012 11:19 #55185 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Climbing shoes
Does anyone know anything about Evolv Evo climbing shoes? Mountain Mail Order is selling them for R695 a pair. To me this price sounds good, but I don't know anything about the quality of the product. Is this a good deal or are these the equivalent of those R500 hiking shoes that you can buy and use for your first 10km of hiking (before they start to break)?

More
10 Sep 2012 18:18 #55190 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Rock climbing equipment
There aren't really any bad climbing shoes around IMHO, just various models within the brand differ. Some are great models, others are duds, even within the well known brands. Evolv generally is fine. Chris Sharma is involved with the company. My wife has one of their pairs and likes them. Apparently their rubber is soft which means they stick nicely, but that also means they needed to be resoled quicker. I don't know what particular model you are looking at. But its important to try them to see if they are right for your feet.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ghaznavid

More
10 Sep 2012 18:58 #55194 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Rock climbing equipment
Intrepid on a Nelson (of thank you's) - the bowling runs in...

intrepid wrote: its important to try them to see if they are right for your feet.

I am a bit worried about the prospect of buying shoes over the internet, maybe its not a good idea.

More
10 Sep 2012 19:43 - 10 Sep 2012 19:48 #55195 by john mark 1
Replied by john mark 1 on topic Rock climbing equipment

Intrepid on a Nelson (of thank you's) - the bowler runs in...

...tap, tap. Will he? Won't he? Can he? Can't he? How about steering it down to 3rd man.. Ghaz is there. Is he awake? Just one, that's all he needs... one more thank you. To break the curse. Its do or die, bowler takes a big stride, he's up to the crease...
Last edit: 10 Sep 2012 19:48 by john mark 1.

More
11 Sep 2012 09:56 #55198 by ghaznavid

john mark 1 wrote: ...tap, tap. Will he? Won't he? Can he? Can't he? How about steering it down to 3rd man.. Ghaz is there. Is he awake? Just one, that's all he needs... one more thank you. To break the curse. Its do or die, bowler takes a big stride, he's up to the crease...

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
11 Sep 2012 10:08 #55199 by ghaznavid
Just bought Mad Rock Science Friction 3.0 shoes from Bush and Bundu - cheaper and apparently better than the other ones I was looking at.

Next step - harness...

More
11 Sep 2012 15:25 #55204 by john mark 1
Replied by john mark 1 on topic Rock climbing equipment
That's the stuff! Seeing Boucher reminds me of his eye :thumbsdown:

Hey, that's your 9th century in the bag :woohoo: Nice going, you only got another 90 odd to catch up to Tendulkar :P

More
11 Sep 2012 15:54 #55206 by ghaznavid

john mark 1 wrote: That's the stuff! Seeing Boucher reminds me of his eye :thumbsdown:

It is sad - but I am happy to have hundreds of photos of him in one of his last tests. This was that test we lost against Sri Lanka in December last year.

john mark 1 wrote: Hey, that's your 9th century in the bag :woohoo: Nice going, you only got another 90 odd to catch up to Tendulkar :P

Well he got his 100 in the various forms of the game, so if I reach 100 on other forums, does that also count? :)

intrepid wrote: also cause ghaz can't stick to the topic :P

Point taken :laugh:

More
08 Oct 2013 06:40 #58744 by ghaznavid
@All climbers out there - in case you haven't heard, Wild Country is doing a recall on certain of its nuts. Full details at www.wildcountry.com/products/product-recalls/voluntary-recall-rocks-and-classic-rocks-issued-07102013/

Following a recent failure in use of a Classic Rock, in which fortunately no injury occurred, we conducted an in depth investigation and an extensive testing programme. Following the testing of over 17,000 Rocks we found some units that did not achieve their rated strength. The rated strength of Rocks varies, depending upon the size, from 4kN to 12kN. In a very small number of cases the failure load was below the units rated strength and in some cases below 7kN; a peak load that can be realistically achieved during a fall.

The problems that we found were most apparent in Classic Rocks batch JBE. However, we cannot guarantee that other batches and Anodised Rocks are not also affected and therefore have taken the decision to recall all units with the identified batches noted below. Our first priority is always the safety of our climbing and mountaineering colleagues and customers, therefore we have taken the decision to recall the Rocks with the identified batch codes. We apologise for the inconvenience this may cause, and thank you in advance for your cooperation in helping us to recover as many of the affected Rocks as possible

More