Ueli Steck

01 May 2017 17:31 #71440 by Coeta
Ueli Steck was created by Coeta

ghaznavid wrote: @Coeta: No question, what Andrew is doing is incredible!

Remember that Andrew is not a sponsored athlete, so he does the normal going-to-work thing like the rest of us. If you look at what some of the top paid athletes manage, it is insane!

Are you familiar with Ueli Steck? He makes even Andrew seem sane. Last year he climbed all 82 4000m peak in the Alps in 62 days. He holds the speed record on the north face on the Eiger (and he insisted on not using the fixed lines, which are permissible under the rules for the FKT, but he feels they are not in the spirit of mountaineering), and has pulled off various other incredible feats.

As the saying goes: Superman's hero is Chuck Norris, Chuck Norris' hero is Ueli Steck...

And sadly Ueli Steck had an accident...
thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/swiss-machine-ueli-steck-killed-in-mt-everest-accident/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2017 17:59 #71442 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Ueli Steck

Coeta wrote: And sadly Ueli Steck had an accident...

I have never seen so many posts about one athlete on Facebook and Instagram - my entire feed on both yesterday was covered with this news.

They say there are old climbers, and there are bold climbers, but no old bold climbers. As Alex Honnold put it - Steck was the most solid climber out there, but unfortunately the mountain isn't always.

He was unquestionably a legend, probably the best mountaineer of this generation and one of the best ever.

More
02 May 2017 10:22 #71448 by ASL
Replied by ASL on topic Ueli Steck
I was shocked to hear about the sudden death of Ueli Steck while soloing on Nuptse. What a huge loss to the mountaineering world.

Reminds me that the mountains need to be respected by all..

RIP Ueli Steck! You lived your life in an inspired way!

More