Cathedral Peak 31/01

02 Feb 2009 08:03 #282 by Magan
Cathedral Peak 31/01 was created by Magan
Was at Cath. Peak campsite for a social w'end.
The river alongside CP Hotel is flowing extremely strongly after heavy rains last week. We played it safe and rather had a rewarding hike up Mike's Pass.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2009 12:40 #283 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Re:Cathedral Peak 31/01
Appreciate the update.
It seems February is generally not a good month for the Mlambonja River. I've had some interesting episodes at this time of year involving either precarious crossings or an improvised change of route.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
02 Feb 2009 13:46 #284 by Magan
Replied by Magan on topic Re:Cathedral Peak 31/01
The newer campsite is an absolute pleasure.
Fenced off area, lush grass, hot water, showers, a bath !!, electricity, guards.
Except it would be nice if the guards were more discreet and chase of the baboons when they are inspecting the bins.
Nice time of the year to go camp there : only one other tent / caravan each night !!

More
05 Feb 2009 11:19 #285 by intrepid
I have heard reports that the Mweni and Ntonjelana Rivers are pumping and moving boulders too. Seems like the rains are taking effect. Please let's all be carefull with river crossings!

More
09 Feb 2009 08:04 #287 by DRI
Replied by DRI on topic Re:Cathedral Peak 31/01
We were caught short of Xeni cave on the way down from Twins. This was in a shocking with sanitory pads all over the place. We spent a night on a rock shelf and then the next day had to cross 4 rivers, I fortunately had a rope which was tied to trees on either side to assist crossing. Always carry a rope.

More
09 Feb 2009 09:20 #288 by bergbees
Replied by bergbees on topic Re:Cathedral Peak 31/01
What is a good rope length + make for the berg? Like a just-in-case rope to carry with you?

bergbees

More
09 Feb 2009 13:07 #289 by intrepid
Good point about taking ropes, DRI. Back in 1995 we called off a hike to Ndedema Gorge cause of heavy rain. Another group still went to the same place on that weekend. One of the members got washed away during a river crossing and they never found the body. I've carried rope with me ever since then.

Bergbees, my usual rope is a nylon ski rope, 7mm thick, about 20m or so. It's the kind that's available everywhere. It's cheap and lightweight and for all-round use a dynamic climbing rope wouldnt be needed (too heavy and bulky anyway). I've used it for river crossings, building shelters, hauling packs up difficult sections and also to make a rope ladder to help people up exposed bits.

They can take full body weight as long as it's not shock-loaded. I've even tested one on a short abseil in the traditional manner - hurts like hell but works. If I'm going on tricky rock passes, especially with people that don't like the scrambly bits, I take an additional 12mm nylon rope with loops already tied into place to make it into a crude rope ladder.

Usually I take a very thin nylon cord too which weighs very little. This can be used to tie packs to tents for security and also as an additional hauling rope. I've had cases where the packs were clipped to the main rope spanned across a flooding Mlambonja River, and a second rope was used to pull the packs across.

It's a good idea to take 2-3 load-bearing carabiners too.

More
09 Feb 2009 18:21 #290 by domsmooth
Replied by domsmooth on topic Re:Cathedral Peak 31/01
I am so glad this post came on, as I am about to write a complete story on the new campsite, as I have just been at Didima for 5 days, and took a stroll down to have a look.

More
11 Feb 2009 16:44 #299 by bergbees
Replied by bergbees on topic Re:Cathedral Peak 31/01
Thanks for the info on ropes, I have a 10m rope from Outdoor Warehouse that I carry but have not used it yet. It looks strong but I will check the make.

Cheers!

More
17 Apr 2010 15:45 #1182 by Rubber
Replied by Rubber on topic Re:Cathedral Peak 31/01
Domsmooth have you written that article on the new Cathedral campsite? Where has it moved to? Went to the old one last year for an after-hike shower only to discover it was closed - went home smelly!

More