Gray’s Pass: The Smoking Dragon

12 Nov 2013 10:11 #59026 by PeterHowells

ghaznavid wrote:
You use Internet Explorer don't you? IE is the only browser that seems to accept uploads these days. Personally I use Firefox, so if I want to add a photo I have to use IE.

Not sure what you mean by pics and text though.

That may be my problem. I am using Chrome and I do not have that option that you refer to. I will try on IE. Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2013 11:54 - 12 Nov 2013 11:55 #59027 by PeterHowells

ghaznavid wrote: Its one of my favourites - not sure of the height of Vultures Retreat, if over 3000m I would add it to the khulu list but the height isn't shown on the map.

According to my topological maps on Garmin Basecamp, the wall of Vultures Retreat reaches 3200m? Not sure how accurate this is, though it seems to be well above 3000m.
Last edit: 12 Nov 2013 11:55 by PeterHowells. Reason: spelling

More
12 Nov 2013 12:10 #59028 by ghaznavid
I have a suspicion we are talking about different peaks - there is that peak with the massive gully separating it from Nkososana. It isn't named on the map and is too close to Nkososana to be a khulu (although perhaps can consider inclusion under the "horns" principal). I think that may be what you are referring to?

Vultures Retreat according to the maps is the ridge on the true left side of Nkososana Falls. The peak I refer to as Vultures Retreat is a little dome (no contour ring around it according to the map - probably why it wasn't on the original khulu list and probably won't end up on mine). I'll post a photo shortly.

The higher peak should be pretty cool - I need to spend a day or 2 in that valley - Dragon's Back and Mhlwazini (excuse the spelling) should both have awesome views - not to mention Cowl View, Champagne etc...

More
12 Nov 2013 12:19 #59029 by ghaznavid
View inland from the peak I am refering to:

Escarpment view:

For some reason I took this photo - that lumpy little thing (actually looking at it I am starting to agree with its non-khulu status) is what I am referring to as Vulture Retreat:

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

More