Giants Hut

26 Feb 2015 13:21 #62906 by elinda
Replied by elinda on topic Giants Hut
We did a hike in the Giants Castle area last weekend, going up Oribi Ridge and on to the contour path and passing Giants Hut on the way. The hut is derelict with half the roof tiles blown off, open to the elements and debris scattered all around. The inside is a mess with insulation from the roof hanging in tatters and the old iron bunk beds rusted and upended. The roof trusses still look ok for now but will rot if nothing further is done. Such a sad sight to see and I remember many happy evening spent in this hut. I am not sure but seem to think that the MCSA had an initiative a little while back to repair and rebuild the hut and they had several work parties going up there on weekends to do the work. It would seem that the Berg winds have made short work of their sterling efforts. I am wondering though whether there are any plans afoot to either repair the damage or at the very least to remove the unsightly debris and clean up the site ?

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2015 13:40 #62907 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Giants Hut
It is indeed a pity, looks like its been like that since Aug 2013.

Here is the previous thread about it: www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/8-drakensberg-hiking/130-giants-hut.html?start=10

More
15 Mar 2015 18:46 #63008 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Giants Hut
From the Facebook page: www.facebook.com/RebuildingGiantsHut?fref=nf

Hi all. It is with great dissapointment, I have to let you know that the insurance claim on the hut was rejected. The roof blew off before the job was fully signed off and completed. Does anyone out there have capacity to take the lead on this project to get this started again? Please contact me if you do. Thanks so much! Rob Harley

The following user(s) said Thank You: ghaznavid

More
19 Jun 2017 09:34 #71742 by Rhinoandhedgehog
Replied by Rhinoandhedgehog on topic Giants Hut
I have some news on this one.

According to a chat I had with a staff member over the weekend. The hut's restoration is "under review". He suggested that I email the manager and motivate as to the restoration.

If you are interested and want to, PM me I will send you the email address of the right person. I walked away believing that this actually might be a possibility.

While I has there this weekend it would not actually take much to restore the old hut to its former glory. And am sure it will be well used like Bannerman Hut down the road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard Hunt

More
06 Jun 2022 10:42 #77756 by hikingle
Replied by hikingle on topic Giants Hut
Hi. Has anyone been to Giants Hut recently? Just wanted to know what's the condition of the Hut...

Thanks 

More
06 Jun 2022 12:43 #77758 by grae22
Replied by grae22 on topic Giants Hut
Was there November last year, lots of debris in the hut. I'd camp outside.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DeonS, hikingle, TheRealDave

More
06 Jun 2022 15:08 #77763 by hikingle
Replied by hikingle on topic Giants Hut
Thanks so much grae22. You just saved us from doing some extra kms. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: grae22

More
06 Jun 2022 16:15 #77765 by DeonS
Replied by DeonS on topic Giants Hut
Hopefully the new KZN Wildlife board will make a decision to repair the hut.

More
19 Apr 2023 14:41 #78470 by Edwin128
Replied by Edwin128 on topic Giants Hut
Hello. I was in giants hut recently and saw that in the path going to oribi ridge there is a stone sign that says loteni jeep track, a concrete spot to park a car, and rusted obstacles that blocked a old car road.

Does anybody have more info about this jeep track? I could not find anything online, only a mention in a old giants castle trail descriptions. But, no idea if it is the same track.

Best, Edwin.

More
19 Apr 2023 18:37 #78472 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Giants Hut
Yes, long ago there was a jeep track from Giant's Castle Camp roughly along the Oribi Ridge route, to the top of Taylor's Pass at Lotheni. The materials to build Giant's Hut were taken by vehicle along this track and dropped off somewhere near the hut. The scars of the jeep track, which has been closed for many years, can easily be seen along most of Oribi Ridge route, and along the Contour Path towards Lotheni and the top of Taylor's Pass. At one of the stream crossings on the contour path, the old concrete drain pipes of the track can still be seen. In places the path follows the old jeep track, while in other places the path is quite far from the old jeep track.

More