Food for hiking

16 Jun 2010 13:19 #1397 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Food for hiking
Dudes....

Where is your imagination. I will get to suppers later.

Whilst hiking, pvm bars and a mixture of jelly babies, sour worms and nuts (gorp)

B/F - Muesli bars (From Woolies) and yoghurt(double thick) tea or coffee. On one hike, I took pre-made crumpets with syrup and had coffee and a small bodem. On easier trips bacon and eggs.

Lunch - Olives, cheese, tuna in a bag, biscuits poppyseed, tex bars, tinned mackerel.

Suppers - Bolognese with quick cook rise or gnocchi, green tai chicken currie with broccoli or spinach and rice, beef stroganoff and rice. Washed down with some sherry and dark chocolate. The suppers are pre cooked and then put into zip-lock bags frozen and then wrapped in tinfoil and then finally in news paper. All meals last for a 4 day hike, and whilst they don't remain frozen, they have never been off.

Pringles at any time of the day when the pack is off and it is close by.

Karl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2010 14:03 #1398 by tiska
Replied by tiska on topic Food for hiking
I'm going to be out on a limb here (and have been told as much by nervous looking hiking partners)....

Stop at UltraCity and eat as many burgers as you can before you start feeling ill. Proceed straight to Berg with a light bag and a heavy camera....

More
01 Jul 2010 21:21 #1434 by Errol
Replied by Errol on topic Food for hiking
I must say, when in the mountains ill eat just about anything thats light and cheap (Student).
B.fast: Oat (the quick cooking variety)

lunch: seems to be the standard cheese and crackers of some sort.

Dinner: two minute noodles as a base, to which a spicey bacon bits and onion mix, prepared at home (fried up till pretty dry) and frozen in to portions, is added.

Peanuts and rasins, and sparkels in between, and an emergency chocolate for when the going gets tough.

The cous-cous dinners sound like they're worth a try!

More
12 Jul 2010 11:38 #1453 by kliktrak
Replied by kliktrak on topic Food for hiking
always interesting to experiment with hiking cuisine, sometimes it works, and sometimes not...

this is my current list of staples:

Brekkie: Oatso easy sachet [apple n cinnamon ONLY coz its the best!]
or Oats Bars/Oatsli Blueberry burst - the other reason is that I have found other oats bars "freeze" or get very hard in winter nights, not great for early morning starts! but this blueberry bar is quite "moist" and not a problem.
Enrista coffee sachet
whole leaf green tea [Gaia products]

Snacks/Lunch:
- Safari Trail Mix [mixed nuts/dried fruit] - comes in a red box and in small 30g sachets - includes Peanuts,Raisins,Sunflower Seeds,Almonds,Cashews,Pumpkin Seeds,Cranberries and is the only one of the range that doesnt contain tartrazine
www.wellingtons.co.za/products/safari/safari_trail_mix_nut_seed_cranberry.htm

- raisin sachets [25g sachets] - had some hypoglycemia issues previously and raisins help
www.wellingtons.co.za/products/safari/safari_raisins_sun_dried_seedless_convenient_packs.htm

- Fantico Rice crackers [no not rice cakes] - these I find more filling and robust than provita or wheat based crackers - recommend the teriyaki flavour in the round "tray" type of cracker, or the sour cream and chives in the boxed kind.

- John west Tuna Sachets - Sweet Chilli flavour [the extra zing does it for me in the mountains!]

- Enerjellies / Game sachets

- Oatsli Blue Berry burst bars
www.heartlandfoods.co.za/blueberry_burst.html

Sundowner: Bells whiskey - [the small plastic bottles]

Supper:
- Tastic boil in a bag veg curries [Kashmiri Rajma or Dal Palak seem to be the best in terms of energy/carb/protein value]
www.tastic.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=228&catid=17&Itemid=15
www.tastic.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=226&catid=17&Itemid=15

Have with rice or pack some whole wheat roti

I have also come across a veg pasta product by Werda which is 420g in a sealed plastic sachet which seems good energy/protein/carb value
Chikpea and Pasta - www.wellingtons.co.za/products/werda/werda_pasta_chickpea.htm

or the Samp and Bean, seem best value, they also do a lentil and rice pack, but the taste isnt so great - would be good with some kind of other sauce and or tuna probably.

Dessert - Enrista white hot choc sachet! seriously rich and decadent - they also do a normal dark hot choc as well!

More
15 Jul 2010 08:11 #1477 by ClimbyKel
Replied by ClimbyKel on topic Food for hiking
My favorite meal hiking is called "anything that my husband cooks". When we are in the mountains, he becomes our chief chef, and it all tastes great when you don't have to cook it.

More
30 Jun 2011 10:32 #3238 by Boerkie
Replied by Boerkie on topic Food for hiking
When doing "soft-trails" our group has got a "extreme cooking" challenge going, whereby you score points for the complexity of the meal. Carrying a 2kg steak would score you some points but if you want to impress you have to go for the ice cream and sugar cones for desert or a complicated cocktail with crushed ice, cherry and umbrella. If you want to take the cake.......bake one! It provides lots of fun for us.

What supplements do you take on the multiple-hard-day-hikes?

I like the bio-plus sachets.

More
16 Jun 2012 17:45 #54359 by Captain
Replied by Captain on topic Food for hiking
Hi All,

Sorry if this is a repeat of a thread...I've searched but didn't come up with anything. I'm interested to know what type of food people take when hiking/trekking. I've met a few 'gourmet chef' types on a few hikes and have been quite impressed by some. I've been through a range of different types of food from flavoured sawdust meals like Backcountry (coulddn't finish it! :sick: )to precooked home made stuff (damn heavy! :S ) to 3-packets of Cuppa-Noodles for supper on night 1 (wanted to retch after eating that! :sick: ).

Dinner is the most vexing for me, breakfast is usually a sachet of Future Life :thumbsup: and a cup of coffee. Lunch is biltong and supper depends on how lazy I think I'll feel during the run up to the hike.

I'm interested to see the responses.

More
17 Jun 2012 05:52 #54362 by Fitness
Replied by Fitness on topic Food for hiking
@Captain, i'd also like to see the responses as I am hiking up Rhino this weekend and then coming down Bushmans Nek Pass, so some ideas would be great.

More
17 Jun 2012 06:09 #54363 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Food for hiking
Have a read through here :)

More
17 Jun 2012 09:55 - 17 Jun 2012 09:55 #54364 by Captain
Replied by Captain on topic Food for hiking
Ok great. Thanks :thumbsup:
Last edit: 17 Jun 2012 09:55 by Captain.

More