MWiS: Mountain Withdrawal Syndrome

19 Jun 2018 15:08 #73612 by ghaznavid
Found this article online, thought it was worth a good laugh - especially while working in a fleece that I have used for hiking in the past:
cuhwc.org.uk/Trip%20Book/Unofficial%20Trip%20Book%20Archive/mwis-mountain-withdrawal-syndrome

I am not sure that mountain withdrawal is actually a joke, though - I was just thinking how long it has been since I was last in the mountains, only to realise it has been 10 days :lol:

Summitting a large ridge/peak/pass would cause release of dopamine into the blood, which is largely what makes most addictive substances addictive, so maybe summitting mountains is actually addictive :whistle:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2018 17:14 #73613 by swordfish
Apparently it is a real thing - Post Trail Depression 

Watched this video awhile ago:

https://youtu.be/LgbNE6t7Vfk
The following user(s) said Thank You: ghaznavid, Captain

More
19 Jun 2018 19:01 #73614 by elinda
I can totally equate to this! We don't get out to the Berg as often as I would like, and I find that after a month I most definitely get cabin fever and find myself poring over maps and getting excited about planning an adventure into an unknown area.  Mind you, I equally enjoy any trip to the Berg, even if I have been there before as its always a different experience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Captain

More
20 Jun 2018 13:24 #73616 by ghaznavid

swordfish wrote: https://youtu.be/LgbNE6t7Vfk

That was a very interesting video, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

I wonder if I can get sick leave for this clearly medical condition. Oh wait, I work for myself, so sick leave is just unpaid leave :lol:

More
21 Jun 2018 11:23 #73621 by Macc
You might be onto something there with sick leave...

I have noticed a change in my mental state when visiting the mountains after an 'extended' absence. I don't really feel withdrawal but I definitely feel something when I get a 'hit'.

"The three rules of mountaineering: It’s always further, taller and harder than it looks."

More