Fixed ropes to the summit of Everest

10 Mar 2011 18:41 #2555 by intrepid

The popular route up Everest on the Nepal side will be officially fixed from Base Camp to summit this Spring 2011 climbing season.

Read more...

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2011 20:50 #2556 by zen101
Yep, next is the HACC

(High altitude cable car)

More
11 Mar 2011 08:33 #2558 by Errol
@ zen101

Ha ha, that made me laugh and brought a tear to my eye because it wouldnt surprise me. What was that about ice cream and tea parties?

More
11 Mar 2011 11:10 #2562 by anthony
Well i have heard stories of fresh food and fish been flown into base camp, and on summit day the Sherpa's waking you up getting you out the tent and fastening your boots then clipping you into the fixed rope and shoving you off on your way.

Where is the adventure in that, that's why there are greater mountains to tick off like K2 or Annapurna.

More
11 Mar 2011 11:30 #2563 by Errol
I'm not exactly qualified to talk about going up Everest, BUT, it does seem that less and less is the responsibly of the climber. Rather, said climber pays more money to get to the top with greater ease (relatively speaking!) and less experience. I’m not saying its easy by any stretch of the imagination, however, if I were aiming for the top of the world Id like to do it by graduating to that point (through climbing my way up through the ranks as it were) and tying my own shoe laces.

More
15 Mar 2011 02:45 #2568 by Serious tribe
@Errol

Couldn't agree more. It would be interesting to c how many of these guided climbers could make the ascent up K2!

More
25 Mar 2011 12:54 #2612 by intrepid
It doesn't seem likely that the Nepalese government will set a limit on the numbers of climbers on their side of the mountain anytime soon. They need revenue. In this respect it is not a bad thing if better management is implemented on the mountain. Disputes over things such as which expedition sets up the fixed ropes and which other teams are allowed to use them is an issue. And not just on Everest, but other popular routes on peaks such as Ama Dablam. As long as this remains on a few select, "sacrificial" peaks. This may be a good thing on smaller peaks such as Island Peak and Mera Peak. With very little control over the quality and experience of the climbers heading up on these "easy" peaks, fixed ropes will introduce a degree of safety.

While I don't enjoy the way in which Everest is "conquered" these days either, I, like Joe Simpson, admit that an all-expenses paid offer to climb the mountain would be hard to turn down...

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More