The 3 pass circuit in the Everest Region

26 Nov 2019 14:02 #75484 by Stijn
Thanks Riaan!

Many people told us that Renjo La was the easiest of the 3 passes, but we did find it a bit tougher than Cho La. The path is very good, but it has some steep sections and is a bigger climb overall. The views are fantastic as you get that same Gokyo Ri view of Everest, Nuptse, Lhotse, Makalu, etc with the Gokyo Lake for some colour too :-) We didn't end up going down the valley on the other side as my wife had been struggling with a bad chest infection, so we headed down the Gokyo Valley instead - also a gorgeous route high above the valley floor!

It was all pretty frozen up when we went over Cho La. I don't recall seeing a lake at all... What time of year were you there?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2019 15:57 #75485 by Riaang
Last week of September and into the first two weeks of October. My overall impression was that it was warm. Sure, the higher areas was cooler, especially when the clouds rolled in and the wind started blowing. Temperatures were pretty much the same as in the berg during winter. I was hoping it would be a bit colder :-(

More
26 Nov 2019 19:33 #75488 by AndrewP

Stijn wrote:

AndrewP wrote: After lunch and of course more tea, I gunned up the 580m vertical climb to Gokyo Ri. I took only 51 minutes and was pretty psyched with my time.

P.S. Andrew - you'll have to go back now ;) 39m13s is the new time to beat! https://www.strava.com/activities/2868580295/segments/71279845348

Well done, that will take some beating. Great challenge. I will sign up to it. Maybe not Gokyo Ri, but at least a similar sized hill at altutude :-) 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stijn

More
27 Nov 2019 08:43 - 27 Nov 2019 09:05 #75492 by PeterHowells
Great photos of the region. I was there for the same 3 passes trek in September this year and it truly was breathtaking. Anybody who loves trekking in the mountains should put this hike on their bucket list.
I specially like your photos of Cho La - weather seemed great. We had to climb up that pass in a snowstorm which made it quite interesting.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 27 Nov 2019 09:05 by PeterHowells.

More
03 Dec 2019 15:59 #75512 by Riaang
I eventually found the picture of us at the top of Cho La pass. As you can see immediately below us, there was quite a large pool of water. We had to descend with a rope down towards the glacier as the section immediately above the pool of water was very steep and sandy. It would have been pretty cold if we fell into the water here.

More
03 Dec 2019 16:02 #75513 by Riaang
This was about the only ice we found anywhere on the route. On the approach to Cho La pass (coming from Gokyo Ri), you can see in the pic below that there was no snow or ice at around 5000m ASL. We found Cho La to be pretty much like a rough Berg gully, with loose rocks everywhere. The saddle in the middle of the pic is the top of the pass.

More
04 Dec 2019 12:32 #75519 by Serious tribe
Thanks Riaan
Great images, and great trip.  I am busy reading a number of historical books on the climbing over there.  Ama Dablam is a really beautiful mountain.  Would love to have a few weeks of just shooting some of the peaks in amazing light.

More
05 Dec 2019 07:51 #75523 by PeterHowells
I agree with @Serious Tribe, Ama Dablam is beautiful to photograph. It was my favourite along with Pumori higher up the range. Really beautiful in early morning light.

More
Yesterday 06:34 #75543 by intrepid
Great pictures and stories guys, thanks! Nepal holds a special place in my heart. Years ago I spent 29 days in the Khumbu and I still have many places left there to explore again some time in the future. Above my screen as I write this is a huge, framed photo of Ama Dablam, it has always captured my imagination.

Stijn, nice to see a VE buff has made it to the Khumbu already, and it wasn't one of mine!

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More