Malolotja in Swaziland

10 Apr 2012 08:26 #53469 by Stijn
Malolotja in Swaziland was created by Stijn
I know it's not Berg related so I've put this under the General Discussion section...

For those of you who have not been to the Malolotja National Park in Swaziland, do yourselves a favour and check it out sometime! It's a great alternative to the berg and is a true wilderness. Only the day trails are maintained regularly but if you want to explore the remote corners of the reserve, take your tent and go bundu..

We did a 3-day hike there this weekend and experienced lush valleys, waterfalls and spectacular views without another hiker in sight.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2012 08:44 #53470 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Malolotja in Swaziland
That looks very scenic!

Stijn wrote: I know it's not Berg related so I've put this under the General Discussion section...

Well the forum is described as "An online community for the love of mountains", not just the berg :)

More
10 Apr 2012 18:57 #53486 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Malolotja in Swaziland
Thanks Stijn, I've been planning to take my wife there sometime and will probably ask a few questions then.

And yes, this forum is open to topics other than the Berg.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
11 Apr 2012 06:27 #53491 by Serious tribe
Gr8 looking place. A big pool is always good to have on a route.

More
11 Apr 2012 08:54 #53500 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Malolotja in Swaziland
Especially if your campsite is 200m away from it! :woohoo:

More
18 Jun 2012 13:58 #54397 by ghaznavid
Is Emlembe at Malolotja?

My list of to-do's in mountains is progressively getting longer, I have recently added doing the highest point of each Southern African's countries (Southern Africa being defined as SA, Lesotho, Swaziland, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Mozambique, and maybe Zambia - not Angola etc). Details on how difficult/worthwhile this hike is would be awesome!

More
19 Jun 2012 05:17 #54406 by Stijn
I thought Bulembu Mountain was the highest peak in Swaziland? It's just North of the Malolotja reserve near the Bulembu/Jakkalshoek border post road. I don't know much more about it other than that it was one of the checkpoints in a Swazi Extreme AR several years ago.

Darron Raw from Swazi Trails ( www.swazitrails.co.sz/ ) will be your best bet for info. Swaziland has been his adventure stomping ground for a good chunk of his life.

More
19 Jun 2012 05:26 #54407 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Malolotja in Swaziland
Looks awesome Stijn! Can you drink the river water?

More
19 Jun 2012 05:32 #54409 by Stijn
We all did but 2 of our party (of 6) got sick on that hike, most likely due to the water. I think most of the rivers rise within the reserve but the conservation practices don't seem to be too good there. :(

More
19 Jun 2012 05:54 #54411 by ghaznavid

Stijn wrote: I thought Bulembu Mountain was the highest peak in Swaziland? It's just North of the Malolotja reserve near the Bulembu/Jakkalshoek border post road.

Emlembe is listed by wikipedia and peakbaggers.com as the highest point in Swaziland. But as we all know - wikipedia is not the world's most reliable source of info, I had to correct the height of most of the berg peaks on their list of peaks page . No doubt some bright-spark will change them all back and suddenly Mont-Aux Sources becomes 3299m again... I must get a map of the area, maybe even the survey maps of SA since both peaks in question are on the border.

More