Suikerbosrand Map

16 Jun 2012 14:25 - 18 Jun 2012 13:53 #54357 by daveway
Suikerbosrand Map was created by daveway
Hi All,

As requested by ghaznavid, here is the map of Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve.

I'm uploading this so that people can take a look at and plan hikes to Suikerbosrand, so if anything, me uploading this map might increase the number of people wanting to hike there :P I'm not a fan of distributing copyrighted material, but there aren't any details on the map itself as to who the copyright holders are, and I don't think that uploading this is going to cheat anyone out of any revenue. If anybody has genuine issues with me uploading this (bearing in mind that attachments can only be downloaded by members of Vertical Endeavour), please let either myself or a moderator know, and it'll be taken down immediately. I've cropped out everything that isn't part of the map itself.

That said, if you do go to Suikerbosrand, don't print this map, buy it!

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 18 Jun 2012 13:53 by intrepid. Reason: embedded images
The following user(s) said Thank You: intrepid, ghaznavid, brio, abdavies, Riverrat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2012 17:55 #54360 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Re: Suikerbosrand Map

That's a great help. I'm now looking at the possibility of doing the highest points of every province in 7 days (ie breaking the current record by 2 days), should be good...

More
25 Mar 2013 06:38 #56352 by Riverrat
Replied by Riverrat on topic Suikerbosrand Map
Hi Guys
We visited the reserve this weekend and have the following comments about the short trails:
1. There is a 4km (Cheetah interpretive trail),takes 90 minutes
2. and the 10km and 11.5km options of the Bokmakierie Trail which take about 3 hours each.

It is important to get clarity on the start of the Cheetah vs Bokmakierie trail as both are marked with yellow footprints and start close to each other. You do not want to take off and find yourself on the wrong route, as we did lol.
The starting point for all of the trails is the Diepkloof admin offices and not at Karee kloof.
Both of these day trails are located in the north west corner of the reserve and nowhere near the overnight trails.
The Cheetah trail starts 30m from the cattle-grids along the tar road towards the entrance gate, the Bokmakierie starts from the tar road going uphill that leads into the reserve, behind the chalets.

The red routes marked on the atached map here is a motor tar road: the hiking trails routes are not really very clear on the colour maps.
The hiking ofice however does give a black and white printed photocopied map showing the trail a little clearer.
Once on the short routes you will find them well marked and well cared for.
There are no water-points or streams with water along the route. You will neeed approc 2 liters water as the hike is fairly strenuous.
There is a brickwork long-drop toilet along the route of the Bokmakierie, but it is not particularly clean and rather dark.

Enquiries and bookings can be done at: Gauteng Provincial Government
Private Bag 616, Heidelberg 1436, South Africa.
Telephone 011-439-6300
Cellphone 071 602 7581

More
25 Mar 2013 06:55 #56353 by Josh of the Bushveld
Thanks for the info.
Does anyone know what state the overnight huts at Suikerbosrand are in?

More
20 Jan 2020 08:43 #75612 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Suikerbosrand Map
Old thread, but just to provide an update on the reserve. I visited it yesterday (so it only took me 7 years to actually go there).

The overnight hiking trails are currently closed for maintenance, and are expected to be open by March.

The day trails (3 of them, all starting at the main offices, about a 30 minute drive from the gate on the Meyerton side) are as follows - we did all 3 of them yesterday, and didn't even need to rush to finish them all:
1) Tok-Tokie is the super easy 1km trail designed for elderly, little children etc. It is wheelchair accessible and is paved the entire way. It is marked as accessible for the blind and you are encouraged to try it with a blindfold and a stick (you won't be missing much) - with the left side of the trail being designed to be hit with a stick. They have since added a braai 100m in, leaving a gaping hole in the trail side, and the gaps created for drainage don't help either for navigation without sight. The amount of debris on the path also makes me think a blind person won't have a very pleasant experience on this trail. This trail doesn't provide anything of interest, except a few sign boards about the local flora.2) The Cheetah Trail is a very easy 4.5km trail. It climbs the hill behind the offices, goes around a little koppie and then drops back down to the offices. The last 1.5km of this is common with the last 1.5km of the longest variation of the Bokmakierie trail (which isn't how its marked on the maps). There is a nice flat rock to sit on at the top of the koppie, which is worth the minimal effort required to reach it.
3). The Bokmakierie trail is the main trail. It has 3 legs, giving you a few options of how to complete it - ranging from 8km to 12km (or 22km if you double back one section to ensure you cover 100% of it, combined with the Cheetah Trail - like we did). The hardest variation is to go out via the west leg and at the mid split take the route marked 10km. The longer return (marked 17km, for some reason - it is actually 12km) adds distance, but walks around the one ridge - rendering it easier. We walked the longer outer loop first, then got back to the camp. walked the mid leg (3.5km from the car to the split) and then walked back via the easy east split, and where it joins the Cheetah Trail, we followed the Cheetah Trail in reverse back to the camp - thus ensuring we covered the entirety of Bokmakierie and Cheetah without too much duplication.

Regarding Toringkop - you park by the side of the road, follow a maintenance track as close to the towers on the hill as you can and then bundu bash to it. It is very far from the hiking trails. We weren't certain which point was higher, so we did the second nearby summit - both are above 1910m based on map contours, probably basically the same height. It clearly isn't summitted often as there is no trail leading to the summit itself. A missed opportunity in marketing, IMO.

Gate times are 7AM to 6PM, you can't enter after 4PM. Current entrance fee is R25 per car and R35 per person. You can get a 6 month pass for R250 - but you have to buy it at the office, which means you have to pay the entrance fee to come in on the occasion of buying it (bring a passport photo if you want to do this).

There is no water on the trails, so carry plenty. I also didn't see any shops there - so bring food and anything else you might need. There are braai facilities as well.

Basic summary: some hills to train on, and it is pleasant when everything is green in summer. We saw some wildlife on the drive out too (although only birds, lizards and insects on the trails). Worth visiting if you are nearby, but not worth making a special trip for it. Definitely suitable for introducing your children to hiking.

I will write up the day and share photos at some point - but I am very far behind on hike reports at the moment.

More