Transkei Hikes

23 Nov 2016 12:17 #70243 by hamzahkhan786
Transkei Hikes was created by hamzahkhan786
I was wondering if anyone hiked from Port Edward to Port St Johns or from Port St Johns to Coffee Bay

I want to plan a hike from Port Edward to Coffee Bay. I need some tips as I don't plan to do it via a guide. All is welcome to join, the more the merrier

Where can I purchase a map?

Contact for a shuttle number to return

Are there river crossings that require a boat ride?

Should I wild camp or stay at a backpackers along the way?

Do you have contact details for a Xhosa family to host me?

Can I drink the river water ?

Any other info will also be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2016 13:41 #70244 by DesPorter
Replied by DesPorter on topic Transkei Hikes
I have done the Port Edward to Port st Johns and Dwesa to Morgans bay, both hikes twice. Tented the whole way and camping near old huts, long ago broken, or elsewhere. You could try the reserve Silaka at Port st johns they may still have old maps otherwise use the usual 1/50000. Generally walk on beach, preferably with one long leg and one short leg, and you see a path going over a hill when finding a very rocky section. Some rocky sections are okay at low tide but not high tide, you choose. Most hotels are friendly and you can get lunch and/or a drink as you pass. Navigation is generally not an issue if you keep to the beaches or fairly close. The water is at the end of the cycle so worst possible quality so use tablets and/or filter. As you come in to Mboti there is a house on the top of the hill where you can stay indoors at a very reasonable price else the camping ground. Rivers depend on the tide; some you can step over or else wade through; others may need a strong plastic bag to float pack across and some do require a boat but I have never had a problem crossing those rivers as there is a local with a small boat or also holidaymakers with a speed boat or the ferry at Kei mouth. There are lots of taxis at your destination, look and choose one. Make sure to negotiate price beforehand for taxi and river crossings.

More
24 Nov 2016 11:42 #70252 by Christine
Replied by Christine on topic Transkei Hikes
We hiked last December from Port Edward to Port St Johns, organized by a tour company and led by a guide. They provided me with a copy of the maps (on email), which I would be happy to forward to you, if you can provide your email address.

We carried all our own provisions and tented all nights. Water was collected from rain water tanks belonging to the locals and we used "purification drops" at all times.

It's a really great hike.

More
27 Nov 2016 20:29 #70260 by hamzahkhan786
Replied by hamzahkhan786 on topic Transkei Hikes
Thank you so much for all your input. You restored my confidence in pulling this of. I will try get a map from Christine prior on embarking on this journey . Around how much are the boat fee for the river crossing? And the taxi shuttle back to Port Edwars? I assume besides the camp ground at Mboti, you wild camped for free?

More
29 Nov 2016 10:23 #70270 by Sabine
Replied by Sabine on topic Transkei Hikes
Hi,

I have hiked from Port St Johns to Port Edward twice and am going again in January. We wild camp along the way, only at Mbotyi do we stay at the campsite. We are a group of 10 people. I use a shuttle service to take us from Port Edward to Port St Johns. PM me and I will send you all the details. Or you can join us.

More
29 Nov 2016 22:04 #70280 by hamzahkhan786
Replied by hamzahkhan786 on topic Transkei Hikes
I would love to join you . Can I bring some friends along ?

More
17 May 2021 14:12 #76878 by petroengel
Replied by petroengel on topic Transkei Hikes
I plan a hike from PSJ to Coffee Bay. Does anyone have any input as to possible camping spots? Is it possible in 4 days, or should we stick to 5 days?

More
17 May 2021 18:50 #76879 by DesPorter
Replied by DesPorter on topic Transkei Hikes
There used to be huts many years ago.  In some places the ruins are still visible.  Camping is possible in the vicinity of the ruins otherwise do as in the berg and set up camp at a convenient spot where water is handy.  Different to the berg where the water is found before reaching civilisation in the Transkei the water has already passed through habited areas so it is necessary to purify before drinking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: petroengel

More
04 Jun 2021 14:48 #76944 by petroengel
Do you know where I can find a map of the area?

More
12 Jan 2022 08:46 #77422 by petroengel

We hiked last December from Port Edward to Port St Johns, organized by a tour company and led by a guide. They provided me with a copy of the maps (on email), which I would be happy to forward to you, if you can provide your email address.

Hello Christine. Do you still have these maps? If so, can I send you my email address please?

More