Very short overnight hikes - Gauteng

25 Feb 2017 06:22 #71008 by ozone

Bear in mind you can apply for permits from the MCSA as a non-member for access to some of the classic Magaliesberg kloofs: mcsajohannesburg.org/index.php/permitsahuts

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2017 12:12 #71097 by ruthtbl
What about doing more of a base-camp type of trip, where you tent at the start and do short day hikes from there? A couple of places could work for that, such as Mountain Sanctuary Park, Kgaswane Nature Reserve, Riverside Paradise (where the old Frogs Trail used to start), or even Hennops (they have hikers accommodation I believe).

More
08 Mar 2017 12:15 #71098 by ruthtbl
Dome pools in the Magaliesberg might also be an option - I haven't done it myself but I have heard that it is one of the more child-friendly routes :)

More
09 Mar 2017 10:16 #71110 by ozone

What about doing more of a base-camp type of trip, where you tent at the start and do short day hikes from there? A couple of places could work for that, such as Mountain Sanctuary Park, Kgaswane Nature Reserve, Riverside Paradise (where the old Frogs Trail used to start), or even Hennops (they have hikers accommodation I believe).

Thanks for the ideas!

More
09 Mar 2017 10:18 #71111 by ozone

Dome pools in the Magaliesberg might also be an option - I haven't done it myself but I have heard that it is one of the more child-friendly routes :)

Yes, thanks. I have been to Dome pools and that is the kind of place we are looking for.

I was just not aware that non-mountain club members could go there, but apparently it is possible to get a permit.

More