is There a Southern African Equivalent of UK's 'Three Peaks Challenge'?

13 Mar 2019 13:06 - 13 Mar 2019 13:36 #74775 by Fat Rucker
Is anyone aware of a Southern African version of the UK's 'Three Peaks Challenge', where the highest peaks in England, Wales, and Scotland are summited in succession? I'm about to do something similar (starting this weekend) summiting the highest peaks in Lesotho, South Africa, and Swaziland one after the other. I'm aware of the Cape version (and SA's 9 Peak Challenge) but was wondering whether this might be a first? We are by no means trying to set any records but, if we are the first, we might hold it very briefly (having set the bar very low...!)I'd be interested if anyone has heard of this being done before...
Last edit: 13 Mar 2019 13:36 by Fat Rucker.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2019 19:40 #74783 by ghaznavid
My list for the Drakensberg hat-trick is the Northern High Traverse, Giants Cup Trail and Grand Traverse. I don't think many people (aside from mountain guides) have done all 3 of those.

The problem with 3 country high points is: why those 3 countries? Southern Africa includes a few other countries. It is also a political objective rather than a geographic one - by the Himalayan definition of a mountain, Mafadi is simply a subsidiary summit of Makeka and not a mountain in its own right. A more logical hat-trick in my mind would be the 3 most southern ultra-prominence peaks, Thabana, Seweweekspoort and Du Toits.

Cool challenge, though - and you probably will be setting an FKT as I doubt many people have done all 3 in the same year. Good luck and please post the photos!

My fastest time on 3 different country high points was 13 days for Mauritius, Singapore and Malaysia :lol:

Getting to the top is nothing, the way you do it is everything – Royal Robins

More
13 Mar 2019 22:47 - 13 Mar 2019 22:48 #74784 by swordfish
I have hiked with someone who has climbed all the highest peaks in each South African province and tried to do it in the fastest possible time. He has done it via an adventure company organized trip.

That would be the closest local challenge in my opinion. 
Last edit: 13 Mar 2019 22:48 by swordfish.

More
14 Mar 2019 08:03 #74787 by Smurfatefrog

swordfish wrote: I have hiked with someone who has climbed all the highest peaks in each South African province and tried to do it in the fastest possible time. He has done it via an adventure company organized trip.

That would be the closest local challenge in my opinion. 

That's quite a popular challenge
www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/south-africa/55618-the-9-summits-of-sa.html?start=80
www.facebook.com/Real9Peaks/
www.ninepeaks.co.za

More
14 Mar 2019 08:36 #74788 by Stijn

ghaznavid wrote: My list for the Drakensberg hat-trick is the Northern High Traverse, Giants Cup Trail and Grand Traverse. I don't think many people (aside from mountain guides) have done all 3 of those.

That's like saying that the Himalayan hat-trick is Everest, Everest Base Camp and the Kathmandu Park Run! :laugh:

More
14 Mar 2019 10:03 #74790 by ghaznavid

Stijn wrote: That's like saying that the Himalayan hat-trick is Everest, Everest Base Camp and the Kathmandu Park Run! :laugh:

Everest vs EBC for DGT vs NHT, sure - NHT leaves the escarpment just as it starts getting interesting. But that is a pretty harsh assessment of the GCT - 60km with 2km in vertical isn't exactly trivial. Actually GCT's vertical profile isn't massively less than a DGT: 9km vertical for 220km is 1m up for every 24m flat, GCT is 1m up for every 30m flat. The main difference is altitude and weather - and I guess it is easier to bail on the GCT.

To clarify - when I say the hat-trick, I mean established thru-hikes. Baring an arbitrary route like up Grey's down Giants, there are only really 3 established thru-hike routes in the Drakensberg.

Getting to the top is nothing, the way you do it is everything – Royal Robins

More
14 Mar 2019 11:35 #74792 by Stijn
@ghaz - my comment was more on the randomness of the selection, but if you're looking for "established" through hikes, then I guess those are the only 3. Would be nice to get the "contour path" traverse concept more established as another option...

More