Black Diamond Distance Carbon Z trekking poles opinions?

31 Mar 2020 12:00 #75791 by AdrianT
Any opinions/experiences on these poles for running? Anyone use them for hiking too? Would you? Or wouldn't you trust them as much? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2020 17:49 #75792 by Grandeur
Sorry I don’t have any info or opinions on these but I had to share the advert that was immediately below your post :

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Smurfatefrog, AdrianT

More
01 Apr 2020 10:27 #75793 by Riaang
Adrian,

I have these but in aluminum, not carbon fiber. Used them very effectively for descending mountain passes while running. The carbon fiber poles would be lighter (but the difference in weight is marginal, not worth the extra money you will pay to go carbon fiber) and stronger. Be careful though as carbon fiber poles are more prone to breakage when banged against a rock. They are very strong down the length of the pole, but not sideways. 

The nice thing about these poles are that they fold up smaller than your regular hiking poles, so you can easily carry them without them snagging on bushes etc. or stash them in your running pack.

Would I use them for regular hiking? Mmhhh, not sure I would. The locking mechanism on a friends set packed up and doesn't seem to be as sturdy as those outside tighteners on regular BD poles. They are also thinner so not sure if It would support your full weight with a heavier pack for long distances. However, this is just my opinion. If you take care of them I am sure they will get the job done, but I've found that the Berg is quite tough on gear, not sure how applicable this would be to CT area.

More
01 Apr 2020 18:48 #75794 by elinda
Hello Adrian

I have these poles in carbon fibre and have been happily using them for 2 years now whilst hiking in the Berg.  They are lightweight and have accompanied me in rough terrain including an ascent up Injasuti Pass and down Hilton Pass.  I have found them to be strong and very reliable - the fact that they fold up quickly to be stored in your pack whilst moving through bushy and vegetated areas is a huge plus!  I would highly recommend them!

More
19 May 2020 10:59 #75832 by AdrianT
Apologies for the late reply. I did by chance see these but had to head out and never returned. (Also, I never get e-mail notifications for any topics. Yes I ticked the subscribe box, and yes I am subscribed - I just checked. I stopped getting notifcations about 2 years back I think. Strange.) 

Anyway, cool wheelchair. Hopefully it never comes to that! 

Thanks Riaan. As you know I have an ancient pair of BD poles that I got in 1999. They are very banged up, bent, but still work. 

And thank you Elinda. I appreciate all the feedback. 

I think I may go for the carbons, and use them strictly for running. For now my prehistoric poles will still suffice for hiking. That is, of course, when the parole officers lets us actually go into the hills... 

More