Wolkberg March 2018

14 Feb 2018 07:50 - 14 Feb 2018 07:51 #72815 by Croco
Wolkberg March 2018 was created by Croco
Hi

Planning on doing wolkberg early March.
I am curious on the best area to visit.

Right now the plan is to drive up to the hut. From there head down into wonderwoud for 2 nights. I suspect the area will be slow going so not really planning on doing much more. Unless there are some lekka pools or falls in wonderwoud.

Also one random question.
How safe is the area to solo hike in terms of people or animal attack.
I have had some run ins with leopards but we were a group. And im no expert on leopard but i suspect a solo hiker would not be as intimidating.
Last edit: 14 Feb 2018 07:51 by Croco.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2018 10:40 #72816 by AdrianT
Replied by AdrianT on topic Wolkberg March 2018

Croco wrote: I have had some run ins with leopards but we were a group. And im no expert on leopard but i suspect a solo hiker would not be as intimidating.

You won't have an issue with leopards even on your own, on foot. If on the very rare chance you are in close contact they will back away with raised hands and standing your ground. I wouldn't worry about them at all. They are more afraid than you are. It goes without saying that to run towards them or advance to one if cornered would have a very different outcome. You can speak to some game rangers to confirm this :thumbsup:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ccjoubert

More
14 Feb 2018 11:49 #72817 by Croco
Replied by Croco on topic Wolkberg March 2018
Cool thx Adrian T. Leopards are always my biggest fear when bunu bashing. Dont know why. Perhaps i was mauled to death by one in a previous life.

I have attached a KMZ file. There is one area i am concerned with. Not sure if it will be passable.
If anyone can have a look that knows the area it will be greatly appreciated to have a look.

Please login or register to view the file attached to this post.

More
16 Feb 2018 09:31 #72823 by Redshift3
Replied by Redshift3 on topic Wolkberg March 2018
Hi Croco,

I am unable to open your attached KMZ file.

If you read the hike reports listed on the Wolkberg category there is one underlining message, it's tough!! Don't underestimate the Wonderwoud, it gets really tough with a backpack in dense vegetation.
Tracks and campsites are not marked, GPS or really good map skills are essential.

You have an added challenge in that its rainfall season, good to find drinking water but there are some rivers that may pose a problem if swollen by local rain!

As for waterfalls and swimming pools, on your way down from the Serala Forest Station, to Klipkraal there is a Tufa waterfall, not only a cool swimming spot but worth reading up on how the Tufa has evolved and exactly what a privilege it is to see!
Down at Klipkraal there are three awesome pools and waterfalls. Klipkraal is easy to get to and your last "civilized" camp if you heading into Wonderwoud.

Should you require any tracks or maps and can't find them on VE, give me a shout I'm sure I can did up my old info and send onto you.

Regards,

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.”
Sir Rannulph Fiennes

More
16 Feb 2018 13:03 #72827 by Croco
I put a picture.

The plan is to drive to the MCSA hut and hike from there past cleo falls. We will be staying a minimum of 100 meters away from the stream closer towards the cliffs once in wonderwoud.
Find the big falls and try to scramble up the left side.

On the topo map the left looks plausible.I read the reports on how dense wonderwoud is.

And i wonder if its like this everywhere in the forest or only closer to the waters.
I've been in some serious dense stuff before. The kind where 50 meters an hour is making good time. Also the kind where you eventually lie in fetal position crying for 30 minutes before mustering up the strength to continue.

For that reason we will have 3 waypoints on route once the forest. If we don't reach one of them in the allocated time we turn back.

From personal experience i find its much quicker to not use a machete but to instead walk backwards and fall the vegetation flat. You cover ground much quicker this way and save a lot of energy. Falling requires very little effort.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
19 Feb 2018 10:16 #72829 by Croco
We have opted to rather do a recon mission.
Seeing as we have no idea what the terrain is really like. It will be a scouting mission to get a feel for the terrain and most importantly, scouting the gorge doing down into wonderwoud for plausibility.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
19 Feb 2018 13:17 - 19 Feb 2018 13:23 #72830 by Deanvdm
Replied by Deanvdm on topic Wolkberg March 2018
Croco, the path down the steep ridge / cliff South of the pools / waterfall is dangerous and loose - it was popular long ago but have deteriorated over recent years. Experience / good judgement is essential. A rope and other gear may be also needed but be warned that should you want to turn back that there may not be suitable anchors to help you escape. Don't know your experience but take care.

Most of the gullies leading South into the forest has been explored but I recall some of them are scrambles / "rock passes" - fading memory does not help to check whether the marked one are one of those.

The line you drew between the MCSA hut and what you called "Friday night" has cliffs but from the bottom you should be able to see which of the gullies are passable (the climbing there is rather sketchy and the moss and lichen will pushes the adventure value of the rock routes up to a level which brings very very few climbers back for a second try).
Last edit: 19 Feb 2018 13:23 by Deanvdm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Croco

More
19 Feb 2018 17:29 #72831 by Croco
Thx Deanvdm

I am becoming increasingly concerned about the area south of cleo falls.
I've seen pics of people abseiling down, and other pics of people rock climbing down.

Not keen on either.
Is it possible to walk the area at all without ropes?

More
20 Feb 2018 08:48 #72833 by Andreas
Replied by Andreas on topic Wolkberg March 2018
Hi Croco.

We were a group of 2 guys and 3 ladies that hiked from the MCSA hut, went down and up that bit after Cleo's pools through a small bit of the Wonder Woud on our way to the Devils Knuckles last year. Was a long day hike, ie everyone had light packs. We were all outdoor people and reasonably fit, it is steep but managed everything without ropes in clear weather and if I did it again with the same type of group and weather I still wouldn't take ropes for that part, but that might just be the youth in me (for today still I'm only 30 years young) and personal preference. If you've got someone who is terribly afraid of heights it would be a challenge.

More
27 Feb 2018 10:24 #72869 by Deanvdm
Replied by Deanvdm on topic Wolkberg March 2018
Btw there is a map with the main hiking trails on Rob Thomas' School for Mountain Leadership web site under navigational data at: sml.co.za/publicdocs.php

More