The "Leave No Trace" policy applicable to the uKhahlamba Drakensberg Park, as distributed by Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife.
PLAN AHEAD AND PREPARE
* Know the rules and regulations of the Park.
* Prepare for extreme weather and emergencies in terms of clothing. equipment and food.
* Plan your route and use a hiking map, a compass or GPS to assist you.
* Hike in groups of between 4 and 8, but no more than 12 in the wilderness area.
* Complete the mountain rescue register correctly and in detail.
* Be aware of the security risk on the escarpment or in Lesotho and do not leave your equipment unattended.
TRAVEL AND CAMP ON DURABLE SURFACES
* Walk on existing trails and camp on durable surfaces such as rock, gravel or dry grass.
* Camp 100m or 5 minutes walk from the trail and water.
* Good campsites are found and not made.
DISPOSE OF WASTE PROPERLY
* If you packed it in, then please pack it out!
* Bury solid human waste, hygiene products and toilet paper at least 15cm deep.
* Wash and defecate 100 m or 5 minutes walk away from water, campsites, caves, and trails.
* Use biodegradable toilet paper and washing products.
LEAVE WHAT YOU FIND
* Take only pictures, leave only your footprints!
* Protect and preserve our cunural heritage.
* No camping is allowed in caves containing rock art or artifacts.
* Leave plants and other natural objects as you found them. DO NOT deface rocks with graffiti.
* DO NOT build cairns or other structures.
MINIMISE CAMP FIRE IMPACTS
* Fires are not allowed in the Park except in designated camping sites.
* Fires and the collection of firewood devastate the environment.
* Use lightweight camping sloves for cooking and gas or candle lanterns for light.
* Respect the environment around you.
* Do not disturb or feed animals.
BE CONSIDERATE OF OTHER VISITORS
* Respect and protect the quality of other people's wilderness experience.
* Avoid loud voices and noises such as radios.
This can also be downloaded for printing and distributing.