1 day khulus

18 Apr 2018 11:02 #73234 by Super_mil
Replied by Super_mil on topic 1 day khulus
Glad to see this topic popped up.
I've just got back into heading into the 'berg and yesterday I started my effort to tag all the 3300m peaks (there is a download on this site with them, which is what gave me the idea). I however will only be tagging groups of peaks if it's feasible and I've given myself the year to tag the lot.

Yesterday I tagged Redi (3309m on the map, but my GPS, eTrex 30 suggested it was 3296m :ohmy: ), via Redi Pass (which was great!) and down Ka-Masihlenga (which was ill defined, with plenty off trail off camber), having parked at Lotheni. 31.6km round trip with 2060m climbing according to the GPS.

Top of Redi Peak with The Hawk, The Tent and the backend of Giant's Castle on the left of the pic.

Quick thanks to AndrewP for routeable Garmin map, been pretty much spot on so far!
Only Ka-Masihlenga has been out, the map suggests following the river the whole way, while the Garmin hugs the bank and heads for a ridge line (which is what I followed as the rivers are always slow!)

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Stijn, Richard Hunt, AndrewP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2018 16:11 #73242 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic 1 day khulus
Nice! Did you bag the dome summit or the big long flat one? The dome is often confused for being the summit, but is a bit lower than the long flat top.

The 3300 list is an interesting one - only 4 of the summits make it onto Andrew's mountains list (Champagne, Popple, Sanqebethu and Redi). Some of the summits are great, and some are really not worth the effort - I seem to recall measuring 4m prominence on the 3323m Yodeler's Peak, and Red Wall has about 8m. Both are in the middle of nowhere, although you would have to head out to them to bag their neighbours anyway.

GPS altitude accuracy is questionable - I have also had readings that Durnford and Namahadi are over 3300m, and have had Sanqebethu at 3296m on both of my two recent ascents of it. The ground surveys quoted on the maps will be more accurate anyway - so no need to stress about that.

Enjoy it - I have completed the list twice. The list is well spread out, giving you lots of variety in regions.

Ps. if you are up for helping out with some research, please gps mark the summits and the key saddles for the peaks and PM them to myself or AndrewP. Make sure both are tagged on the same day so that the relative heights should be roughly correct. If you aren't familiar with key saddles - google "topographical prominence".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Super_mil

More
18 Apr 2018 17:36 #73244 by Super_mil
Replied by Super_mil on topic 1 day khulus
I went up onto the flat topped summit as that was marked as the highest point but then looked over to the dome next to it and it looked higher and had a bigger cairn on top so I ran over to that. The dome was about 10m lower according to my GPS @ 3,284m. I then went over Terateng to the North marked at 3,294m (GPS measured 3,284m) to tag that and have a chat with two shepherds on top.

I'll have to read up on topographical prominence, but I'm happy to help out if possible.

More
24 Apr 2018 05:50 #73274 by AndrewP
Replied by AndrewP on topic 1 day khulus

Quick thanks to AndrewP for routeable Garmin map, been pretty much spot on so far!
Only Ka-Masihlenga has been out, the map suggests following the river the whole way, while the Garmin hugs the bank and heads for a ridge line (which is what I followed as the rivers are always slow!)

If I recall correctly, I got that idea from Ghaznavid. Glad to hear you are liking map

More
24 Apr 2018 15:19 #73297 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic 1 day khulus
When myself and Relihan had a failed attempt on KaMas Pass last December (very wet conditions and we ended up too high on the true left bank in thick mist), we came back via the river valley. It actually wasn't quite as bad as it looks. But anyone capable of following the trail from Yellowwood Cave onward deserves a medal. I don't know what's up with Lotheni - but basically every trail seems to die about 5km from the campsite.

I don't think I every wrote up that hike - but there was a really scary moment when Relihan slipped and rolled, stopping just above a 5m high cliff above the river. We were both having problems with grip that day - I was testing a pair of shoes that did not pass my suitable-for-Drakensberg test.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Biomech

More