Know your 'berg peaks

11 Jan 2018 12:27 - 11 Jan 2018 12:36 #72620 by AndrewP
AndrewP created the topic: Know your 'berg peaks
On 1st Jan, Lilian and I went for a little walk. Lilian has never been to that area before, so I headed towards a summit that is high enough to give a great view. It turned out that we hit the jackpot. The sky was incredibly clear, and combined with our location gave us an un-interrupted view of about 250km of escarpment. It also helped that I now have a much better idea of which peak is which, so it was a treat to pick out the various summits stretching away. We could see the highest points of 2 of South Africa's provinces, 2 of Lesotho provinces and the highest 3 peaks on the sub-continent.

I of course pulled out my camera to get a few snapshots, getting a full 360 degree panoramic type shot. Sadly a cell phone with no optical zoom can only do so much.

I will in due course mark the peaks that I can identify. But before I do that, late last year Ghaz asked people to find a peak he could not identify. He corrected got the South American volcano I submitted within 5 minutes, so now I give him (and everyone else) a tougher challenge.

These photos were taken from the summit of a 3300m+ peak called Matseng. I have marked true north to help out a bit. Peaks with a green line are ones I can identify with 100% certainty, ones in orange I am 90% sure of, and the ones in red I can tell the ridge but not the peak.

Go wild and see how many you can identify. Ghaz, special challenge to you: name or at least identify the location on a map the peak in blue.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last Edit: 11 Jan 2018 12:36 by AndrewP.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2018 12:58 #72622 by ghaznavid
ghaznavid replied to: Know your 'berg peaks
I'll let others have a crack at it first. But just so they know where we are, the first peak in the first photo is Sentinel.

More
21 Jan 2018 10:58 #72669 by AndrewP
AndrewP replied to: Know your 'berg peaks
This is my best effort at assigning names to the various peaks. I have obviously been able to name the peaks nearby, which in this case is basically the ring of mountains surrounding Afriski (located just in front of Mahlasela West).

A few random titbits to go with this:
- From the region about the summit of Baneising, the Mbundini Abbey Spire is clearly visible as a free standing peak.
- This angle gives a great perspective of Mont-Aux-Sources - this is actually just a tiny bump of a much bigger ridge.
- Makheka and Mafadi were much easier to identify out there than in a lousy photo.
- Names of the Lesotho peaks come from the Lesotho 1:50000 maps

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tonymarshall

More
25 Jan 2018 16:17 #72702 by AdrianT
AdrianT replied to: Know your 'berg peaks
Somewhat off topic, but seeing as though you like to annotate and I believe are also an engineer, you may appreciate this screenshot software Andrew:

getgreenshot.org/

More