Easter cave to twins cave

02 May 2012 18:17 #53699 by anthony

We were sleeping at Easter cave when we looked down to the south, we saw a very feint path leading around the front of the escarpment leading in the direction of twins cave so we went to investigate,as we wanted to descend via mlambonja so we thought it might be short cut.

If you drop down to the cut back from Easter cave you pick up the path and follow it round,the path starts of fairly distinct but eventually disappears,so we stayed at that height and traversed around till twins came in to view,it is all on grassy slopes and quite exposed in places, the last bit you drop down and enter the path at neck before you drop down to twins.

So the moral of the story is that it is doable buy since i had the family with rather decided to do the safer option and rather go to the top of Mlambonja

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2012 07:53 #53713 by dirktalma
Replied by dirktalma on topic Easter cave to twins cave
We checked out Easter Cave on Sunday afternoon and also noticed it. Right there we decided it would make a great link-up of the Bell Traverse for another trip.

It looked awesome with some serious exposure

More
03 May 2012 12:33 - 03 May 2012 12:33 #53717 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Easter cave to twins cave
Yes I know about that faint trail and you can definitely link Easter Cave with Twins Cave for an interesting variation. You can also descend to Twins Cave from the escarpment edge directly above it, technically speaking a "pass". Did this on the Easter weekend. The top of the route is near the summit of one of the nameless Khulus there. All good fun and makes for interesting variations.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 03 May 2012 12:33 by intrepid.

More
18 Dec 2013 12:02 #59256 by jimbric
Replied by jimbric on topic Easter cave to twins cave
Does anyone have the coords of Easter Cave? I am planning a trip from Rolands to Twins and might visit Easter cave en-route...

More
18 Dec 2013 13:02 #59257 by Viking
Replied by Viking on topic Easter cave to twins cave
Hi Jimbric,

You will find them in the downloads section of this forum.

Enjoy.

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

More
18 Dec 2013 13:37 - 18 Dec 2013 13:38 #59258 by diverian
Replied by diverian on topic Easter cave to twins cave
Hi Jimbric

Easter cave S28 56 47.6 E29 06 02.2 Altitude 2938 m
Last edit: 18 Dec 2013 13:38 by diverian.

More
11 Feb 2019 11:45 #74639 by Smurfatefrog
This path is quite strong now, but it looks like it heads up and around, back up to the escarpment, or maybe comes down above Twins annex?
It doesn't really make much sense to me (assuming locals have made it) as it would be easier to walk along the escarpment and drop down Mlambonja pass (especially the northern gully)

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave, WarrenM

More
12 Feb 2019 10:42 #74640 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Easter cave to twins cave
Hi Smurfatefrog,

Never walked it myself (generally go to Easter cave too late, or the weather was too bad to attempt that path, still want to do it :-)), but it apparently links up with Twins cave annex. Doesn't go up to the escarpment, stays roughly on this level all the way. And yes, walking along the escarpment is much faster, and safer. And closer to water. But still, that path is calling..... :-)

More
05 May 2019 14:44 - 05 May 2019 14:47 #74982 by WarrenM
Replied by WarrenM on topic Easter cave to twins cave
On Friday I ascended Christmas pass to have a look at the trail between Easter and Twins cave, as seen in the above posts.

It is fairly exposed but has two reasonably good trails between both caves, there is just no trail for final decent down to Twins cave if hiking from Easter, and the path may be difficult to pick up if trying to ascend to it from Twins but it is possible.

It is a great trail for watching vultures I really took some time to admire them.

I enjoyed the exposure on the route, but that is just me, I would not recommend it if say someone didn't feel comfortable on the Bell traverse (for example), and in saying that the Bell traverse afterwards felt fairly mundane after I had done this section between Easter and Twins cave.

I will certainly use the route over taking the inland line going forward!

View from the start at the trail which is basically at the top of Christmas Pass, it may not be apparent when standing at the top of the pass, but as soon as you start walking round you pick up the trail easily.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 05 May 2019 14:47 by WarrenM. Reason: Photo's

More
05 May 2019 14:50 #74983 by WarrenM
Replied by WarrenM on topic Easter cave to twins cave

It is a solid trail!

View back at Easter Cave

View towards Twins and the Bell Traverse

Looking down the Christmas pass gully

View of the trail that I had just walked

At this point there was two paths a lower one and a higher one, one went around the top of the outcrop and the other below it, I chose to take the higher path

I was looking to see of there were any usable cave's but this was the best I could find, which really nothing usable

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Riaang, Andreas, Dave

More