Easter cave to twins cave

07 Sep 2020 19:19 #76032 by WarrenM
Replied by WarrenM on topic Easter cave to twins cave
On Saturday I headed up what I think is twins top, the “peak" between Christmas pass and Mlambonja pass. At about mid-way I saw a gap in the top rock band and decided to head down it to join the path that comes around the front of the escarpment between Twins and Easter Caves.

As I started to descend I noticed a nice cave that just under the top rock band, looks like it has been used as there is a bit of a wall but there is largely still grass on the floor and looked to be a very nice alternative to Easter Cave, it has a spectacular view of the bell traverse and I certain think that I will aim to spend a night there instead of Easter when we next get to the area.

The cave is fairly easy to find. You can get to it from the escarpment, or from that path around the front of the escarpment between Twins and Easter Caves, but would need to cut up to get to it.

Question – I haven’t seen any write up on this cave, have I missed this somewhere, what is its name?

Below is my GPS track from Garmin and I have circled where the cave is.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Stijn, firephish, GetaPix, Riaang, Dave, GriffBaker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2020 06:17 #76034 by BobbyStanton
I have stayed in this cave several times, but way back in the 1970's when Fran Godbold was hiking in the Berg. She knew of its location from her father. We used to call it Easter Cave before the current Easter Cave became well known. It certainly has the most spectacular outlook of any cave in the Berg. Back then the road to Mweni was almost impassible so the regular route was to walk from Cathedral. This little cave was the first stop en route from the Cathedral Hotel car park. We were young and strong back then. The directions were: Just turn right at the top of Mlambonja Pass. Somebody should give it a decent name.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WarrenM

More
08 Sep 2020 07:27 #76035 by Smurfatefrog
I believe this is known as Billy Cave

More