Giant's Caves

04 Feb 2016 22:58 #66878 by Jan
Replied by Jan on topic Giant's Caves
Excellent, that was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2016 17:30 #67192 by Oneye
Replied by Oneye on topic Giant's Caves
Please define "true right of the pass". Not in use in North America. A pass usually has 2 sides, but I assume in the berg you always refer to the escarpment side.

BTW I assume you stand at the pass summit looking over the escarpment. Had to say that before someone reveals the secret.

More
24 Feb 2016 17:42 #67193 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Giant's Caves

Oneye wrote: Please define "true right of the pass". Not in use in North America. A pass usually has 2 sides, but I assume in the berg you always refer to the escarpment side.

BTW I assume you stand at the pass summit looking over the escarpment. Had to say that before someone reveals the secret.

True right would be on the right of the river looking downstream. So in this case if you are heading down Giants Pass it would be on the right

More
18 Apr 2021 22:01 - 18 Apr 2021 22:02 #76753 by supertramp
Replied by supertramp on topic Giant's Caves
Hi there. Looking at potentially sleeping in one of the 2 Giant's caves this weekend. Out of curiosity, which one would you guys recommend? Have only descended the pass once many years ago and can't even remember spotting either of them on either side...
Last edit: 18 Apr 2021 22:02 by supertramp.

More
19 Apr 2021 10:02 #76756 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Giant's Caves
Hi supertramp

Check out this thread for some additional info:

www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/12-drakensberg-caves/56000-giant-s-caves.html?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: supertramp

More
19 Apr 2021 11:22 #76761 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Giant's Caves
Supertramp,

I know of  5 caves near Giants Castle. Here's how to find them:

As you approach from the bottom, and you go into the pass proper, where the main rockface starts, there is apparently a cave out to the left. Walked along the rockband before but couldn't find it. Guess I didn't go out far enough. Go higher, and once you pass the scree field and the pass starts to become narrower, you will clearly notice the two "main" caves on your left (true right hand side). Difficult to miss, they are just above the small rocky formation in the pass, where you have to pass either on the left or the right. Decent size, each could probably sleep 5 people comfortably, however, they are wet and the one closest to the escarpment is a bit low, and both are lower the deeper you go. Low for most people, not just for me.

If you pass them and you go higher, you will clearly see the opening of another cave on the right, however, it is small and sandy and last year we looked into it while it was raining, and decided to rather proceed to the main caves. Rocky inside, you can maybe sleep 4 people here.

Last cave I know of is more of a (very) shallow overhang right at the top. As you top out on the escarpment, immediately turn right and walk along the escarpment edge for another 100m or so. Very shallow overhang, maybe space for 3 people, but I've slept on the flat grassy spot in front of the cave. Was a bit windy and it didn't rain, really enjoyed this spot. You can clearly see this cave as you descend from the Long Wall, I think Tony posted a picture of this cave a few years back.

Anyway, lots of places to camp on the escarpment as well, finding a dry spot could be a bit of a challenge if it rains hard.

Enjoy!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PJordaan

More
19 Apr 2021 14:29 #76764 by supertramp
Replied by supertramp on topic Giant's Caves
Hi Riaang,
Excellent, thanks a million for the advice (as always) 

This image is hidden for guests.

I should have time to scout a bit and to check them all out. Will keep an eye on the weather forecast and include it in my decision. Plan on tenting on the escarpment for another 2 nights so would like to include a cave in the mix too.  

More