Chameleon Cave

23 Jul 2019 10:34 #75178 by MarkT
Chameleon Cave was created by MarkT
This weekend we visited Chameleon Cave in the Mzimkhulu area. It looks like its hardly ever used, but it still has rock walls demarcating sleeping areas. It gets fantastic afternoon sun, as you can see in the pictures. Unfortunately, the whole area was burned by a wildfire the day before, so it looks a bit inhospitable due to all the black soot instead of lovely green grass. 

Still, it could be cleaned up relatively quickly, is close to water and has a great view, even if the shelter provided is minimal. I've also attached the GPS location which I took using my phone and have verified on Google Earth.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Please login or register to view the files attached to this post.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2019 11:11 #75182 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Chameleon Cave
Thanks for this Mark.
How did you guys find the paths, or lack of paths in the area?

More
23 Jul 2019 12:17 #75184 by MarkT
Replied by MarkT on topic Chameleon Cave
Absolutely! We definitely had a lot of difficulty finding paths, I would say there are almost no true hiker's trails left, the only tracks being made by smugglers or animals. Because of the big fire, we were able to rapidly make a beeline anywhere we wanted though - since it's super easy to move over the burnt landscape. 

For the next 6-12 months it will probably remain very easy to walk in the area because of this. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smurfatefrog

More