Nkosazana Cave

07 Dec 2021 11:33 #77348 by Riaang
Nkosazana Cave was created by Riaang
I've found Nkosazana cave to be wet quite often. I generally use it in winter so everything is either iced up or frozen, but that wouldn't be a problem for you at this time of year.

Just take bivvies or some form of waterproofing if the floor is damp. Can't recall drips though, but if you are only 4 people then you should be able to move around and find a dry spot or two :-)

Nice cave, offers decent shelter and pretty much out of sight from the top of Grays pass.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wind

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2021 20:14 #77351 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Nkosazana Cave
That's quite a cramped cave, did you fit into the sleeping areas Riaan, if I remember you're quite tall?

More
08 Dec 2021 10:36 #77354 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Nkosazana Cave
The cave (currently) has 3 sleeping areas. As you enter it, to your left, there is an open area where 2 normal-sized people can sleep. A bit exposed as you might get wind swept rain or snow in this spot. Next to it, a bit deeper then, is another area where you can again fit 2 average-sized people in next to one another. I considered this spot but it had a slight slope so decided against it. Both of these areas are marked off with a low stone wall.

Then right at the back you have the largest are where I slept next to my wife. I could easily stretch out all the way, and I recon you can fit another person in here as well. We occupied the centre section, it extends another meter on either side. The biggest issues with the back section is that it is the wettest part of the cave. Not a problem in winter as the drips are frozen, as is the floor. In summer I suspect it might limit the usability of this cave a bit, but since I've never slept here in summer I can't say for sure.

In winter, if it is not covered in snow, you can comfortably fit 5 people in this cave, with room for gear explosions etc, but I think you can probably manage to fit 8 people in this cave.

I'll post a pic or two from our August hike just now

More
08 Dec 2021 10:43 #77355 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Nkosazana Cave
This image shows the back of the cave.
It was taken from the walk-in section on the right. On the left of it is a spot where 2 people can easily fit in, and then behind and to the left is the front section. I would estimate that the middle section is roughly 2m x 1.7m, and the front section is a bit bigger, but shaped more like a rugby ball (oval to rectangular). 

The ceiling is low, which was a pain in the back (literally) for me :-)

Cave entrance

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tonymarshall, Wind

More