The Pine Tree Project

08 Oct 2019 15:42 #75372 by Drakie1
Replied by Drakie1 on topic The Pine Tree Project
I have been reading this forum for a while now but never got to a point of getting involved. 
I am not as young and energetic as most of you guys (62) but would still like to be involved in the physical part of eradicating pines in the Berg. In this way I get to hike with much more experienced people.
My Drakensberg experience is restricted to a 4 day Mafadi hike, a Sentinel to Tugela weekend, Sentinel to Cathedral Hotel via Organ pipes in April 2018 and then the planning and executing of an unsupported 13 day DGT in May 2019 with two friends. Having done most of the other hikes such as Otter, Fanie Botha, Fish river, Naukluft etc, I can definitely say that finishing the DGT was my ultimate hike.
Can anyone please tell me how to get involved with this worthy action.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2019 20:25 - 08 Oct 2019 20:27 #75373 by Papa Dragon
Replied by Papa Dragon on topic The Pine Tree Project

Drakie1 wrote: I have been reading this forum for a while now but never got to a point of getting involved. 
I am not as young and energetic as most of you guys (62) but would still like to be involved in the physical part of eradicating pines in the Berg. In this way I get to hike with much more experienced people.
My Drakensberg experience is restricted to a 4 day Mafadi hike, a Sentinel to Tugela weekend, Sentinel to Cathedral Hotel via Organ pipes in April 2018 and then the planning and executing of an unsupported 13 day DGT in May 2019 with two friends. Having done most of the other hikes such as Otter, Fanie Botha, Fish river, Naukluft etc, I can definitely say that finishing the DGT was my ultimate hike.
Can anyone please tell me how to get involved with this worthy action.

Awesome Drakie, glad that you are keen to get involved. We are a mixed bunch on the pine crew, some ballies like us, and some lighties (+-30s :D) as well.
PM me your cell number, and I'll add you to the Whatsapp groups. We have found this to be the most effective way to communicate..

Also take a look at our brand new Facebook page:
https://web.facebook.com/pinebusters/?view_public_for=104512447604799
Last edit: 08 Oct 2019 20:27 by Papa Dragon.

More
06 Nov 2019 21:43 #75439 by Papa Dragon
We had a very successful last of year, off our usual site, pine eradication hike at mKhomazi this last weekend,

12 Pine Busters and a baby Macc attended, and we felled 29 mature trees, and ringbarked 1 huge Big Mama..

We had access to the rondavel at mKhomazi, the Macc family, stayed there, and the rest of us tented close by, but it was good to have use of the warm shower etc.

Awesome to have a number of first time Pine Busters with us, and we hope that they become regulars...

As always, thanks to the team for your interest and dedication. We had some strong competition this weekend, with the RWC, and Banff film festival in Durban, but the cause won the day.. well done..

Thanks Rich, Singlespeed, elinda, Macc, Jess, Rach, Smurf, Margaret, Michelle, Flatdoggy, Lindy-ann, Abdullah

More
06 Nov 2019 21:46 #75440 by Papa Dragon

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Macc, GriffBaker

More
06 Nov 2019 22:06 - 07 Nov 2019 06:28 #75441 by Papa Dragon
Pics above, in order:

macc resting on his laurels, while Rich tackles the tree
mKhomazi rondavel and our tent
Macc resting again..
A pine on a very hot dry NE facing slope, strange that it established here, but you can see te effects of the dry hot weather..
mKhomazi pipeline?
A big singleton in a south facing gully.. felled
Another pic of the rondavel and our tents..
Same big singleton as above..
The big cluster that we treated,all felled except 1 big mama ringbarked and herbicide.
Last edit: 07 Nov 2019 06:28 by Papa Dragon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MarkT, tonymarshall, Herman

More
07 Nov 2019 21:33 #75447 by Papa Dragon

More