Wet summer 2012-2013

24 Feb 2013 10:03 - 24 Feb 2013 10:23 #56095 by tiska
Wet summer 2012-2013 was created by tiska
It seems like it has been a very wet summer in the Berg this year. I have never seen the Injisuthi River quite as full as it was in Decemeber 2012 and a lot of the reports I've read show that other areas have been wet too - like this recently posted report of the Fangs valley in Mnweni
www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/16-drakensberg-grand-traverse/55229-grand-traverse-blog.html

Here are some photos and some rainfall figures.

The rainfall plot above has two panels. The bottom panel shows the rainfall events and the top panel is the cumulative rainfall for the season. If the average rainfall were falling, then the green line would fall on the red diagonal line in the top panel. Instead we see that the green line is above the red line and this has been so since the start of Dec 2012. Cumulative rainfall has remained above average through the season. These data are from satellite derived rainfall estimates. The coords don't work perfectly for the Berg but other data I have seen show the whole area to have been very wet.

Here's a link to 15 minute satellite images for southern Africa from a project I run:
www.fennec.imperial.ac.uk/SA.shtml?date=2013/02/22 17:00&date2=2013/02/22 17:00
You can page forward and backward through the images at 15 minute, hourly or daily time slots.

This is a photo of Marble Baths. I've never seen it more full.

And the Delmhlwazini river flowing down from Cowl Fork was equally full.

as was the Injisuthi river.

In contrast 2011-2012 summer was very dry.

I noticed that there were many miggies in the lower Berg this year. I've not seen them before. And the report that Stijn posted on the Traverse (link earlier in this post) notes that there were Mozzies in the lower Berg of the Mnweni. The wet summmer must be related to this.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 24 Feb 2013 10:23 by tiska.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smurfatefrog, Sabine, HFc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2013 07:07 #56097 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Wet summer 2012-2013
Thanks mnt_tiska, some interesting data. That Fennec link is very cool!

Lets see if this higher summer rainfall translates into larger volumes of winter ice!

More
25 Feb 2013 09:40 #56098 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Wet summer 2012-2013
Interesting stuff.

Considering how flooded the Mlambonja River at Garden Castle was last year as well as the rivers that you cross near the Bushman's Nek border post - it makes sense...

More
26 Feb 2013 06:22 #56100 by Sabine
Replied by Sabine on topic Wet summer 2012-2013
Who has hiked in the Mnweni area in the past couple weeks? What is the state of the rivers there at the moment? Going up Rockeries (how much water?), coming down Mbundini having to cross the Mnweni river.

Would appreciate some feedback, thanks!

More
26 Feb 2013 13:17 #56105 by tiska
Replied by tiska on topic Wet summer 2012-2013
Meant to say that the Fennec website with the satellite imagery lags about 30 minutes behind real time (the time shown is UTC, which is offset from SA time by 2 hours at this time of the year). The images appear every 15 minutes and so you can see the weather building. Nice thunderstorms (the red cloud) over the northern Berg at the moment....

More
26 Feb 2013 13:19 #56106 by tiska

Sabine wrote: Who has hiked in the Mnweni area in the past couple weeks? What is the state of the rivers there at the moment? Going up Rockeries (how much water?), coming down Mbundini having to cross the Mnweni river.

Would appreciate some feedback, thanks!

from a quick spin through the satellite images on the Fennec site, the northern Berg has been clear of major storms for about 6 days - maybe more. That will bring the rivers down to reasonable levels but keep on eye on the storms building today.

More
27 Feb 2013 23:50 #56115 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Wet summer 2012-2013
Thanks for the link.

More
04 Mar 2013 11:35 #56158 by tiska
If you have trouble reaching the satellite imagery website from the link I posted, here is another (slightly longer) way:
go to
www.fennec.imperial.ac.uk/
The default choice is 'SEVIRI Dust' which will show a north African map.
To change this, go to the drop down list in the top right hand side, just underneath the yellow fox (fennec) and choose
SA
which is the second last one on the drop down list.
This should take you to the most recently available image with a UTC (GMT) time stamp for southern Africa. From there you can page backwards at 15 minute intervals to 1 June 2011 when the first images for the southern African sector were loaded to this website. It can be interesting to look back at the imagery for times when you were in the Berg.

More
04 Mar 2013 13:42 #56160 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Wet summer 2012-2013
I found on both links, the animations wont play if I use Opera or Firefox, but no problems if I use Chrome.

Was interesting to see what was happening during the snow event of 7 August last year!

@mnt_tiska, could you possibly explain the significance of the different colorations?

More
04 Mar 2013 16:30 #56162 by tiska

JonWells wrote: @mnt_tiska, could you possibly explain the significance of the different colorations?

Probably the best way to explain these images is to make a few annotations on some typical snapshots and post them up here. I'll sort that out over the next few days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JonWells

More