Drakensberg dwarf chameleon

25 Jun 2018 12:40 #73632 by WarrenM
Three of us headed up the Camel route on Saturday and found this guy at about 2400m as you are contouring round the camel.

Initially I thought it was a lizard and then as I went to step on the rock in the path it didn't scurry away so I had a closer look.

A chameleon was really the last thing I expected to see in the berg, has anyone else seen these guys around? For me this was a great sighting.

** I stand to correction as to whether it is a Drakensberg dwarf chameleon so if not please let me know, this was our best attempt /assumption around identifying it**

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ghaznavid, tonymarshall, AdrianT, Papa Dragon, GriffBaker, Adder Dodger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2018 14:10 - 25 Jun 2018 14:12 #73634 by JonWells
I once did a night hike from Monk's Cowl car park to Blind Man's Corner.  A friend of mine who is a reptile expert came along and said he wanted to try and find some chameleons.  I laughed to myself as I had never in my life seen a chameleon in the Berg.

Well on that short night hike he must have found at least 20 chameleons!  Every few meters he would examine a bush and shout "Here's another one!"   "And another one!"

I couldn't believe my eyes!  But just goes to show you what you can find if you know what you are looking for!
Last edit: 25 Jun 2018 14:12 by JonWells.

More
25 Jun 2018 14:35 #73635 by Adder Dodger
Chameleons are very cute :-) Thanks for posting this WarrenM. 

I seem to remember something about them glowing when you shine a UV light on them. Scorpions too I think. 

More
25 Jun 2018 15:33 #73636 by elinda
Replied by elinda on topic Drakensberg dwarf chameleon
Its nice to see these little guys in the Berg!   This photo was taken just outside Tseketseke hut and I have also seen one in the tree just outside 5 Star Cave a few times.  Not sure what type they are as the chameleon in Warren's photo appears quite different to the ones I have seen.  Does anyone have more information on these little creatures?

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Papa Dragon, WarrenM, Adder Dodger, CBlything

More
25 Jun 2018 18:28 #73640 by Papa Dragon
Beautiful sightings, thanks for posting Warren and elinda.

I will forward the pics to a herpetologist friend for ID..

More
26 Jun 2018 12:10 #73645 by WarrenM
Replied by WarrenM on topic Drakensberg dwarf chameleon
Thanks Papa D, it will be nice to know for sure. My two cents, I think these may be the same species, looking at its back and the different colour around the ribs, it is just the colour that make me doubt my assumption that they are the same.

I'm assuming that the one we spotted was either catching the sun hence why it was so dark, or it was feeling threatened.

More
26 Jun 2018 18:20 #73646 by Richard Hunt
Hi Guys. Yes both Chameleons  are "Drakensberg Dwarf Bradypodium dracomontam" beautiful creatures!!!! 

More
27 Jun 2018 08:55 #73649 by AdrianT
Replied by AdrianT on topic Drakensberg dwarf chameleon
Lovely pics! I had never seen one in the Berg. Thanks for posting this! 

Interesting fact of the day. Chameleons sleep in the same tree on the same branch every night. We have them in our garden. It is a favourite trick of guides on night drives you "impress you" with the night vision by finding a chameleon at night. But now you're wiser. I busted two different guides at two different times in the Timbavati. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Macc

More
16 Apr 2019 07:32 - 16 Apr 2019 07:32 #74904 by vivo101
Replied by vivo101 on topic Drakensberg dwarf chameleon
Found this little guy while struggling through the long grass just before Mnweni pass over the weekend.Almost knocked him off while walking through. Sometimes its the small things that make berg trips so special.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 16 Apr 2019 07:32 by vivo101.

More