Vergelegen Land Invasions

04 Mar 2021 08:09 - 04 Mar 2021 08:47 #76576 by GriffBaker
Hi all

A group of us were due to head to Vergelegen this weekend for one night but I was called by Thanduxolo at Garden Castle(The number I was given for booking) this morning and told that we should reschedule in a different area as Vergelegen has been closed already for about 1 month while they try and deal with a land invasion issue. 

Maybe somebody more clued up than me has more info on this and can report here.

It's very worrying that such an amazing wilderness area is under such pressure from both sides of the border.
Last edit: 04 Mar 2021 08:47 by GriffBaker.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2021 10:51 #76577 by firephish
Replied by firephish on topic Vergelegen Land Invasions
A friend of mine tried to go fly fish there last week and reported the gate was locked and a no-entry sign placed in front of it ... guess this is the reason.

More
04 Mar 2021 15:14 #76579 by GriffBaker
I spoke to Thanduxolo again and it appears the issue was with guys trying to put up what he called shacks at the first bridge (Mqatsheni river) where there appears to be a thin strip of kzn wildlife land on google earth. So maybe the issue not so serious and more a misunderstanding of boundaries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: firephish

More
08 Mar 2021 19:13 #76582 by Graeme
Replied by Graeme on topic Vergelegen Land Invasions
I heard a slightly different version... albeit a story from a person who was told the story ...

Speaking to the Ranger that managed Vergelegen a couple years ago ... he said to me that the people from the local area tried to invade and actually got so far as putting up shacks near the Mlahlangubo stream (the stream that runs past the camp just below the head rangers house ... the last stream you cross before camp) and the staff failed to stop them from building and just let them continue. The MEC found out about this and suspended all the staff that were on duty at the time. This staff is still suspended and hence the camp is closed.

I suggest people find out more facts before quoting this story ... just thought I would post what I had heard and see if people found out any different. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe, GriffBaker

More