Access roads to the Drakensberg

13 Jan 2024 17:45 #78855 by andrehayward
Update on the Lower Lotheni road, I drove it before Christmas and in dry conditions the road is good as mentioned above. Going back from Lotheni I couldn't drive it back as the water level at one of the first bridges was too high to cross and could also feel it was very slippery in the wet conditions, would avoid it in wet conditions, ended up taking the Impendle road to Boston and then to Howick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2024 15:32 #78885 by Edwin128
Hi. What is the current state of the road leading to Vergelegen? Do you still need a high-clearance vehicle? Or a normal sedan can make it?

Best, Edwin.

More
19 Mar 2024 09:59 #78943 by GriffBaker
Morning. I'm also looking for current info on access to Vergelegen. The last time I wanted to visit the gate was locked and a contact number for the OIC was required to gain entry. Is this still the case?

More
20 May 2024 08:30 #79096 by Carl Gebhard
Hey so going to Giant's Castle from G'teng, has anyone used the road via R600?
And how does it compare to the normal route, N3 turn off via Wembezi?

(See image, alternatively Google Maps "Bergville - Tatazela Secondary School - Giant's Castle Resort")

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
20 May 2024 13:25 #79097 by firephish
Hi, i took it once on the way back a couple of years ago, i recall it being slower than expected with some dodgy sections, but we made it though ok in a normal sedan, so could not have been too bad,

I have never taken it again though ....

More
21 May 2024 07:27 #79099 by BergAttie
About 20-30km of dirt road. Usually not too bad but overall I would say this route will be slower. Best option is to drive to Estcourt and take second off ramp to Giants.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carl Gebhard

More