Treasure of the Nation under threat!

02 Jan 2014 06:16 #63466 by Vertical Endeavour

Our name for our mountains, and the culture of our communities who live in the valleys, is Amagug’esizwe (Treasure of the Nation). The mountains of the AmaZizi and the AmaNgwane lie between the two sections of the Maloti-Drakensberg World Heritage Site. One day we hope that our mountains  can also be a world heritage site – A Living Cultural World Heritage Site. We have done a lot of work to help identify a Community Nature Reserve with a wilderness area. Our name for wilderness is ihlane .Now a cableway is being proposed for the AmaZizi Busingatha Valley. This is in the middle of the AmaZizi wilderness. Our traditional AmaZizi leadership and its people are much disturbed.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2015 12:57 #63467 by ClimbyKel
Happy #EarthDay and thank you for all your efforts in conservation! :)

More
22 Apr 2015 13:04 #63468 by Captain
How can I get involved?

More
22 Apr 2015 14:47 #63471 by supertramp
This cable car will NEVER be built, not whilst there is blood flowing through my vanes :evil:
I'll take 3 months leave from work and make sure I personally sabotage every single step.

More
23 Apr 2015 11:40 - 23 Apr 2015 13:52 #63497 by intrepid

Captain wrote: How can I get involved?

For now, inform yourself and others, and spread an awareness through social media and work/social circles.
Here is all the info you need: www.maloti-drakensberg.co.za/cableway
Please also sign the AmaZizi petition on Avaaz: secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Michael_Mabuyakhulu_MEC_Economic_Development_Tourism_KwaZuluNatal_Stop_the_proposed_Busingatha_cableway_in_the_Drakensbe/?eClrFgb

To this day, the AmaZizi royal family, the AmaZizi Wilderness Team and the Mnweni Wilderness Working Team have maintained their stance and are firm in their objection to the cableway - they do not want it. The inauguration of the new AmaZizi Inkosi is imminent (two years after the death of the late Inkosi EM Miya!). We can all express solidarity with him as he establishes his leadership. If the traditional leadership is not heeded in this matter, then the proposers of the cableway are showing themselves to be no better than previous regimes where local people were displaced in the name of conservation.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 23 Apr 2015 13:52 by intrepid. Reason: typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeonS, Philip, Richard Hunt, supertramp

More
23 Apr 2015 13:37 #63501 by Richard Hunt
Signed and distributed.....lets bring a halt to this fracking curse!!!

More
23 Apr 2015 14:01 #63502 by ghaznavid
There was a poorly put together (and very one sided) 50/50 insert on this:

There is a VE survey on the project - we don't have nearly enough entries for this to be meaningful, so share this on facebook, twitter or whatever platform you like: www.surveymonkey.com/s/S3WJ96P

The survey isn't designed for people who are outright anti-cable car. Please only fill it in if you are being completely objective. I have not filled it in myself as I set it up and thus it would be wrong for me to reply to my own survey. But, to be completely honest, as anti-cable car as I am, if a cable car already existed I probably would use it (once). Probably to take certain people who will never be able to reach the top of the Berg to the top of the Berg. My main objection to it is that it is not financially viable and the community doesn't want it (actually talking to the guys in the community made me really angry - long story posted somewhere on this site, but the locals have really good reasons not to want it). If it passes a fair EIA, there would be no environmental objection from my side.

There is also a facebook poll: www.facebook.com/questions/10150859039659118/?qa_ref=pp

More
23 Apr 2015 14:13 - 23 Apr 2015 14:18 #63503 by intrepid

ghaznavid wrote: There was a poorly put together (and very one sided) 50/50 insert on this:

The community leaders that were interviewed for this episode actually had a lot more to say than what was aired.

In addition to the media statement linked to this forum thread, here is a second statement released by the royal family:
www.maloti-drakensberg.co.za/cableway/documents/AmaZizi-Media-Statement-Feb-2014.pdf

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 23 Apr 2015 14:18 by intrepid.

More