Should the chain ladder approach path be concrete?

Poll: Should the chain ladder approach path be tarred? (was ended 0000-00-00 00:00:00)

Yes
14 60.9%
No
9 39.1%
Total number of voters: 23 ( ccjoubert, Coeta, Redshift3, mike_cromberge, AdrianT ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
03 Sep 2015 13:22 - 03 Sep 2015 13:23 #64930 by ghaznavid
Anyone who has done the chain ladders trail will know how hard it is to figure out which set of zig-zags is actually the correct trail. There are numerous spots where the trail has been worn through. Concrete looks terrible, but perhaps for such a heavy use route it will be justified and the environmental harm lessened by it.

For the record - I am not familiar with any existing plans to concrete this route.

*typo in poll name, should be concreted, not tarred.
Last edit: 03 Sep 2015 13:23 by ghaznavid.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2015 21:50 #64951 by intrepid
I think more than anything, the area needs a proper and active environmental management plan which is backed by a budget. This would include possible re-routing of trails to allow certain sections to rehabilitate. The plan would also have to monitor and asses the number of people using the trail, and a daily maximum limit could be one way of controlling the impact.

It may be beneficial to concrete the initial zigzags, unless it is viable to bypass this section totally with a new trail. It would have to be done in such a way that short cuts are not worth it. One also needs to bear in mind that concrete does contribute to soil contamination, and that sections of the path have been concreted before but this has since deteriorated - so even concrete needs to be maintained. I would not be that in favour if concreting the upper sections leading up to the ladder, nor the escarpment section leading to the falls - but there is a dire need for proper management of these too.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kbresler, Philip

More
04 Sep 2015 11:30 #64959 by kbresler
All great suggestions... and incredibly important point to raise. Will this ever change though? Who will drive the process? What can us normal users do to add value?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Kobus Bresler

More
15 Oct 2015 15:44 #65410 by ghaznavid
Interesting to see a 50:50 split in opinions on this one.

More
09 May 2017 12:49 #71526 by ghaznavid
Interesting to look back over this old poll with the new construction work on the path.

More
26 May 2017 11:58 #71648 by AdrianT

ghaznavid wrote: Interesting to look back over this old poll with the new construction work on the path.

What is happening to the path?

More
26 May 2017 15:38 #71651 by ghaznavid
They are putting concrete blocks in. I imagine these are a foundation for concreting the trail itself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AdrianT

More