Drones in the Drakensberg Park

11 May 2022 20:55 #77670 by Papa Dragon
More recent drone footage on YouTube..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2022 04:24 #77671 by MarkT
Messaged him a few weeks ago but was ignored. It is a very beautiful video if you can ignore the drone shots. 

More
12 May 2022 06:26 #77672 by supertramp
Was also conflicted about the whole thing, was hoping he got full permissions with permits etc.

Link to write-up:
harmenhoek.com/post/11/

Totally got the line wrong going up Fangs. A bit hypocritical about his comments of the Basothos and is in contrast to how he portrayed them in the video. 

More
12 May 2022 20:56 #77675 by tiska
I suggest leaving some comments on youtube about why the drone footage is not appropriate and is illegal without a permit. 

More
18 May 2022 17:31 #77698 by DeonS
So many drone videos on Youtube and I would guess most if not all are done with out permission. The same with the making of fires in caves - not allowed but loads of videos showing people making fires in the caves.

More
18 May 2022 18:00 #77700 by Smurfatefrog
Here is another with various rules out the window
 - Drone footage in a few places, including on top of Sterkhorn, another clip I saw her post had the drone flying next to vultures on top of Sterkhorn....
 - Paragliding from Sterkhorn

Basically just a free for all
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeonS

More
18 May 2022 18:03 #77701 by DeonS
Yes and now try to explain to a client that they are not allowed fly their drone, but every one else seems to be allowed to do it, as you said a free for all and a problem for us that have to keep to the rules.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GriffBaker

More
19 May 2022 06:37 #77703 by MarkT
EKZN Wildlife, if they were doing their jobs, would have signage at the offices explaining the rules. I don't think there are any "no drone" signs so its hard to blame individuals as they might legitimately not know. The best thing to do is raise awareness and apply social pressure.

It would be awesome if someone with graphic design experience would put together an "infographic" about the Drakensberg rules and then host it online on a free page. It would contain all the relevant info about what is allowed and links to the penalties.

But in a nice polite way, emphasis on social responsibility, hiking community, etc.

We could then post under YouTube videos, in the comments, and link to the campaign website. At least then it wouldn't feel like getting into a personal squabble every time with random individuals. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: DeonS, PeterHowells

More
19 May 2022 06:40 #77704 by MarkT
something like this but specific for EKZN. The main ones I would include are: no fires, no pets, party size limit of 12, no drones, leave no trace, bury waste > Xmeters from water/cave/etc

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DeonS, GriffBaker

More
25 May 2022 12:35 #77720 by MarkDumbleton
I agree that more needs to be done by EKZN and the likes of Witsieshoek Mountain Lodge especially, because the Amphitheatre on a weekend is like a drone frenzy!

I host landscape photo workshops in the Drakensberg through North Peak Photo Tours and we have a STRICT no drone policy, and its amazing how many people just dont know and raise eye brows when we tell them that no drones are allowed.

The biggest issue is definitely lack of "knowing the rules" but I have had some instances when drone pilots get aggressive when I tell them Drones are illegal, so there is definitely some "I dont care" attitudes amongst some users.

I hope the SAPS and EKZN start charging people and the drone use in the Drakensberg declines. Its super annoying, needless to say potentially harmful for wildlife (Vultures etc).

The following user(s) said Thank You: elinda, DeonS, GetaPix, grae22, wildingo

More