Monks Cowl security

21 Jan 2014 10:59 #59478 by 5haunporter
Replied by 5haunporter on topic Monks Cowl security
Ive been to this area a few times and didnt have any problems with the Basotho's. The times we did see them we kept to ourselves and they did the same.

These arent criminals, more like petty thieves looking for food, cookery and warmth. If you ever do encounter them on your path you will notice they have very little clothing on, commonly bare footed and wrapped in a blacket. It also depends in what season you do your hike, as they do tend to be more desperate and brave in winter, so they will be looking for pots, hiking boots, food, etc lying around your campsite. Its extrememly uncommon for them to be aggresive, as I said, they are petty thieves.

If you just keep to yourself and dont leave anything lying around outside your tent for them to get curious about, you shouldnt have a problem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2014 11:39 #59481 by firephish
Replied by firephish on topic Monks Cowl security
sigh :thumbsdown:

5haunporter wrote: These arent criminals, more like petty thieves looking for food, cookery and warmth. I said, they are petty thieves.

I think its pretty insulting to characterise Basotho shepherds as "thieves". Having spent a fair bit of time on the Lesotho side of the escarpment i have never had an issue. Be friendly and courteous and they will likely be the same.

Keep in mind these people spend 365 days a year in incredibly remote, harsh environment, mostly on there own and have almost nothing by way of possessions. Encountering a hiker is probably the most interesting thing that's happened to them in the last month or so, probably they are going to want to come and have a chat, see what you are doing. A polite hello and the offer of a cigarette goes along way.

More
21 Jan 2014 13:26 #59482 by 5haunporter
Replied by 5haunporter on topic Monks Cowl security
No insult inteneded to the Basotho shepherds as a whole and dont mean to stereotype the shepherds as thieves, as I said they normally do keep to themselves and mind their own business.

However, there are the very few cases of minor petty theft happening in the berg. I personally have been victim to this petty theft, and amoung all my other more expensive kit they could have taken, all they took was a pack of food, sad really. These herdsman do have very little, not much more than a blanket is all they wear, and those cold winter nights must be really difficult. A quick easy warm meal must be tempting when you spend night after night in that environment.

More
09 Sep 2019 12:15 #75311 by NHill
Replied by NHill on topic Monks Cowl security
Morning - we are planning to hike up Grey's Pass via Keiths Bush, returning either on same route or down Ships Prow Pass. It is some time since I did this route. I would appreciate any feedback please about safety/ security hiking this route. 
Many thanks, Naomi

More
09 Sep 2019 13:08 - 09 Sep 2019 13:09 #75312 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Monks Cowl security
Hi Nhill,

Welcome on VE!!!

The route up and down Grays pass carries a bit of traffic, but I've never seen anyone else (hikers or otherwise) while doing Ships, either up or down.
Ships is much harder than Grays, so smugglers and Basothu's would typicaly take the easier route.
We've never had any hassles in this area. It definitely helps if you are in a group of people.
If you intend to sleep over at Keith Bush Camp, I'd advise you to leave nothing outside your tent as I've seen locals sleeping over in this area. They typically stay on the other side of the scree field, i.e. more towards Gatberg than KBC. 

Couple of places to sleep over in the Ships valley, but I prefer the one closest to the exit point. Nice spot for at least 3 tents.

Enjoy!!!
Last edit: 09 Sep 2019 13:09 by Riaang.

More
11 Sep 2019 15:04 #75315 by NHill
Thank you Riaang for helpful info

More
11 Sep 2019 21:52 #75316 by NHill
Hello again - we have since decided Greys Pass/ Ships Prow too long/ demanding in available time and have decided to relocate to Cathedral Peak area:  Night 1 at junction of river and contour path below Tseketseke Hut; Day 2 up Pass and south to Organ Pipes; Day 3 down Camel and return to Hotel.

Several posts warn against tented camping at top of Organ Pipes for safety reasons. I assume next alternative is Ndumeni Caves. Which is the preferred cave? Any other suggestions? 

Many thanks

More
12 Sep 2019 10:23 #75318 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Monks Cowl security
Hi Naomi,

You are spoilt for choice at the top of Organ Pipes pass regarding overnight options. I've tented there numerous times without any issues, but yes, the pass carries a lot of traffic and it is best to camp out of sight where possible. If you do decide to tent then there are a couple of nice flat spots towards Castle Buttress side, which will also be out of view from anyone travelling up or down the pass. Let me explain how to get there when topping out at Organ Pipes pass. When you get to the rather large cairn at the pass head, Castle Buttress will be on your 4 O clock position, so turn right at the cairn and walk towards Castle Buttress. The camping spot is half way between Castle Buttress and Cleft Peak. There are about 3 spots that are easy to find and 2 of them are even close to a small stream. They are situated sort of in the little dip (or neck) between Cleft Peak and Castle Buttress. Only downside is that there are not much protection from wind here, but the views are awesome.

Regarding caves, you can either aim for Rolands cave (not recommended if you or anyone in your group has a fear of heights - the approach can be intimidating), or a bit higher up you will find the two Ndumeni caves. The one right above Rolands is a bit small and exposed, but 2 adults can be comfortable in this cave. Never tried it in the rain but I think you will get wet. The second cave is more towards Cleft Peak. You need to walk about 200m or more along the rock band to find it. The cave is low and deep. We fitted 4 adults in here, but I had to lie with my legs outside as there wasn't quite enough room for us all inside. The low roof height isn't great if you suffer from claustrophobia.

There are two more choices. When you descend Smugglers Pass (the pass head is to your left as you walk up to Rolands cave) you will find two caves, a lower and a higher one. I wasn't too impressed with either. I visited the one in the rain and it was flooded, the higher of the two was half dry but a bit small. The higher one would be fine if you have a bivvy though.

Enjoy!!!

More
12 Sep 2019 12:13 #75319 by NHill
Thanks again for your detailed info - so helpful!

More
06 Dec 2021 23:43 - 06 Dec 2021 23:52 #77346 by Wind
Replied by Wind on topic Monks Cowl security
Hallo everyone. I would like to do champagne castle hike via grays pass but I would like to know if it is safe to do with 4 people 2 adults and 2 children. My plan is to sleep at Kieth bush camp walk to the top of grays pass sleep there then summit champagne castle and go back down and sleep at Kieth bush camp again and then go back to our car after that 
Last edit: 06 Dec 2021 23:52 by Wind.

More